Why become a member? ×

American fender jazz bass

jamieariss

[quote name='jamieariss' post='693633' date='Dec 26 2009, 11:48 AM']Im looking at investing in a J bass but the prices are up there ..

love the feel and sound of the J but are we bassists paying too much!?[/quote]
The dollar/sterling has led to a big jump in prices in the past year. I reckon you will spot some on-line bargains in the new year sales or there's always BassChat! For example aznbass and bassatnight have relatively new, used Jazzes for sales around the £700 mark

[quote name='jamieariss' post='693633' date='Dec 26 2009, 11:48 AM']Im looking at investing in a J bass but the prices are up there ..

love the feel and sound of the J but are we bassists paying too much!?[/quote]

That's for you to decide.

Personally I think you'd have to be insane to pay new RRP for a US Jazz, when you can get a new Mex that's almost as good for half the price. I'd consider getting a second-hand US, but even then in good condition they're more than a new Mex. The Mexican factory is a two-hour drive from the Californian factory. It's a no-brainer.

But that's just my opinion. I know some people who wouldn't dream of buying anything but a US Fender. I've only ever owned Mex fenders (three to date) and I've never had anything to complain about. They've been amongst the best instruments I've owned. Yes, I've played some US models that have been slightly better, but worth the additional cost? Probably not.

Again, your call.

Having owned and still own a Mex and an American the construction and finish of the American is of a higher quality, 9 times out of ten with an American you will get an excellent Bass with a Mexican its more like 5 times out of ten, I would personally look at Japanese Fenders as they tend to be somewhere in between the two for my money.

I certainly won't pay more than £700 for an American Jazz as there are plenty around for sale at any time in that bracket. (mind I am selling one at the mo!)

Steve.

[quote name='jamieariss' post='693640' date='Dec 26 2009, 11:59 AM']So what is the actual differnce between the american and the mex??

surely the electronic cant be different just the wood and name ?? :)[/quote]