Why become a member? ×

The Opposite of the compact.

allighatt0r

Hi Alex,

I've got a beastly and stupidly heavy 15" cab that was a freebie given to my dad at work. I think it's a (fairly well made) DIY job, and I'm pretty certain the speaker is blown, it's an Eminence of some kind, but looks like it never had a model number on it:

[attachment=38794:Photo0173.jpg]

Anyway, it's made of 2cm thick chipboard :) so it weighs a ton, and the eminence isn't exactly light either! I'm planning to get a 300W green label Celestion for it in the new year (not sure if i want a 4ohm or 8 ohm...), but wanted to know if there is anything else I can do to improve the sound. It's not braced inside, but did have loads of foam inside. Do Barefaced cabs get foam inside? :rolleyes: Should i leave it in or take it out? Would there be any use drilling some ports?

[attachment=38796:Photo0174.jpg] [attachment=38797:Photo0176.jpg]

Might be better off just getting another cab than tinkering with it. Ports are a bit dependent on what driver you want to put in it. I don't especially rate Celestions for bass, although my 8x10 is full of them. Make sure that speaker is dead though, if it works as is, leave it, but a new speaker will probably cost more than a second hand cab that is already ported.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='692686' date='Dec 23 2009, 11:21 PM']Might be better off just getting another cab than tinkering with it. Ports are a bit dependent on what driver you want to put in it. I don't especially rate Celestions for bass, although my 8x10 is full of them. Make sure that speaker is dead though, if it works as is, leave it, but a new speaker will probably cost more than a second hand cab that is already ported.[/quote]

Thanks. :)