Why become a member? ×

In a spin....

Dandelion

Ayup.

(Annoying newbie question pending)

To cut to the chase.....

I have about £400 to invest in a bass..

I have whittled down my choice to either a used MIM Fender Jazz bass, or a Ibanez ATK300.

I know that the ATK has the wider neck, I am not sure if I would appreciate that.

I would to try both but I have no examples in my vicinity.

I like the twangy punchy bass sound which really cuts through the mix.

Please advise.

Edited by Dandelion

I've not tried either but I've been impressed with all things Ibanez and not impressed with all things Mexican.
I'm not sure if the Ibanez is going to be the sort of tone you are describing.
I'd go for a quality (IMO passive) Jazz style bass (or anything with jazz pick ups) or I know it's cheaper than you were planning but Squire Jazz basses seem to be well respected.

my preference like so many know is the fender Jaguar. although these are out of the 400note budget I would suggest checking about for a second hand one.

these basses are everything you need in a bass, with the pre-amp you get everything from high twang to low grunt....hope you keep it in mind as an option.

I may be a bit bias however I have played various basses and I think this is an amazing all rounder

plus they look amazing hahahaha

I can only assume that Dom in Somerset was unlucky as the MIM series basses that I've tried were all really good. They also have better resale value and you are basically describing a Jazz bass when you say what you like. The MIM's are also really good for upgrading, turning a good bass into a great bass.

I think my biggest concern re: MIM is quality control.
While I'm sure there are some great MIM basses, I've seen and heard of some that weren't (mostly neck issues). Ibanez on the other hand seem to have a better record for consistency IMO.
If you get to try the bass in person and you like the MIM then all's well, if you are buying "blind" by mail order then I think Ibanez are a better bet.