Why become a member? ×

earthing and shielding

Geek99

On talkbass wiki there is an article about queitening a marcus miller jazz.
In it he advocates a separate wire to earth for each connection rather then each pot being chained to the next as standatd.
Also says to de solder the earth tag of each pot and wire that to earth too.

Would this nake a difference ?

[quote name='Geek99' post='687954' date='Dec 18 2009, 04:21 AM']On talkbass wiki there is an article about queitening a marcus miller jazz.
In it he advocates a separate wire to earth for each connection rather then each pot being chained to the next as standatd.
Also says to de solder the earth tag of each pot and wire that to earth too.

Would this nake a difference ?[/quote]
Traditionally the best way to earth things is to use a star earth with each earthed item being taken back to a single point. This avoids any currents flowing along the earth wires and causing hum and noise. it increases safety and means if a cable breaks the earth remains secure on all the other connections. If there is a problem with noise on this bass it might well help.

It's meant to avoid "earth loops".

Since the pots are mounted on a metal plate that provided one ground path. When you daisy-chain the pots together with a ground wire that provides another ground path. You are in effect creating a "loop" or grounded metal between the metal plate and the wires. In theory this loop can behave like an antenna and pickup interference, but in practice the effect is usually minimal.

The "star grounding" method mentioned by Phil Starr and detailed on the "guitarnuts" website is an attempt to improve this situation by providing a single earth contact and removing any loops.

[quote name='Geek99' post='688499' date='Dec 18 2009, 04:14 PM']Ok I see, although I'm not sure why lots of 3 inch wires each running from a pot chassis, tag or pickup
are less inviting to interference than a single loop of wire. [b]After all small radios use a single wire as an antenna[/b].[/quote]

usually a 5 foot long dipole if its vhf..ideally..not really the same as both ends in some respects

star or daisy works because it works
no further technical knowledge or comparisons are necessary
if you want to avoid any hum from multi earths do that way

then you can concentrate on the real problems...

normally a daisy set up for 2 vols and tone only has one wire to the jack from the bridge pup pot..no 2
the other pots are close enough to do a bus between them...i have used a piece of raw copper wire uninsulated across the 3 pots then a wire to the jack
the earths from the pups and bridge all go to the no 2 pot mentioned

i have also ran earths non daisy chained...without any problems...but now do it that way...just to be safe

Edited by mrcrow

[quote name='Geek99' post='688613' date='Dec 18 2009, 06:25 PM']Ok I see, although I'm not sure why lots of 3 inch wires each running from a pot chassis, tag or pickup
are less inviting to interference than a single loop of wire. After all small radios use a single wire as an antenna.[/quote]

multiple earths = possible hum...

did you sent this in twice?