Why become a member? ×

reccomendations for novice please

Bass-ic

Hi All.
can someone reccomend some really easy music making software for me please.
I use PC not mac.
I dont play any other instruments other than Bass.
I want to be able to create some simple chord progression with some possible drum effects music to jam along with on my bass so that I can help my improvisation. It just needs to be really basic so I can keep up!

I hope that made sense.
cheers
Matt

Edited by Absolute-beginner

[quote name='Absolute-beginner' post='687258' date='Dec 17 2009, 12:58 PM']Hi All.
can someone reccomend some really easy music making software for me please.
I use PC not mac.
I dont play any other instruments other than Bass.
I want to be able to create some simple chord progression with some possible drum effects music to jam along with on my bass so that I can help my improvisation. It just needs to be really basic so I can keep up!

I hope that made sense.
cheers
Matt[/quote]

FL Studio (Fruity Loops) is very good for knocking out accompaniments very quickly. The piano roll sequencer is really intuitive. If you don't need audio recording it costs $99 (US), if you do you need the Producer Edition at $199. You can find a lot of free vst instruments and effects around to use in Fruity.

www.image-line.com/documents/flstudio.html

There are some free sequencers about that would do the same job, but I don't know them, so i can't say how easy they are to use.

fatback

[quote name='hodgsonk' post='687313' date='Dec 17 2009, 01:46 PM'][url="http://www.jamstudio.com/Studio/index.htm"]JamStudio[/url] is pretty good, and it's online too so no software to install.[/quote]

Hi
many thanks for that. It seems pretty straight forward.
perhaps im being a bit slow but can you save the tracks to a different hard drive or disc ?
Cheers
Matt

[quote name='fatback' post='687327' date='Dec 17 2009, 01:55 PM']FL Studio (Fruity Loops) is very good for knocking out accompaniments very quickly. The piano roll sequencer is really intuitive. If you don't need audio recording it costs $99 (US), if you do you need the Producer Edition at $199. You can find a lot of free vst instruments and effects around to use in Fruity.

www.image-line.com/documents/flstudio.html

There are some free sequencers about that would do the same job, but I don't know them, so i can't say how easy they are to use.

fatback[/quote]

Thanks very much
Matt

Band in a Box may be useful. Its not great but as a sketch pad, it can be quite effective in allowing you to put in chord sequences and hearing them with different feels. The samples are weak and the rock stuff particularly poor but, as I said, as a sketch pad, it has merit.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='687372' date='Dec 17 2009, 02:49 PM']Band in a Box may be useful. Its not great but as a sketch pad, it can be quite effective in allowing you to put in chord sequences and hearing them with different feels. The samples are weak and the rock stuff particularly poor but, as I said, as a sketch pad, it has merit.[/quote]
I was just about to post pretty much exactly the same thing, so... er... +1!

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='687372' date='Dec 17 2009, 02:49 PM']Band in a Box may be useful. Its not great but as a sketch pad, it can be quite effective in allowing you to put in chord sequences and hearing them with different feels. The samples are weak and the rock stuff particularly poor but, as I said, as a sketch pad, it has merit.[/quote]

Thanks Bilbo.

[quote name='Absolute-beginner' post='687352' date='Dec 17 2009, 02:29 PM']Hi
many thanks for that. It seems pretty straight forward.
perhaps im being a bit slow but can you save the tracks to a different hard drive or disc ?
Cheers
Matt[/quote]

No, you can't. If you create a profile (free) you can save them to your site profile to load up later, or share with other JamStudio users.
There is a payed version available which has more features, not 100% sure what they are though.

[quote name='hodgsonk' post='687524' date='Dec 17 2009, 05:15 PM']No, you can't. If you create a profile (free) you can save them to your site profile to load up later, or share with other JamStudio users.
There is a payed version available which has more features, not 100% sure what they are though.[/quote]

Ah well!
I find this pretty easy to use, so am happy, thanks for the tip.
Cheers
Matt

Have a look here,

[url="http://www.forte-notation.eu/en/index.htm"]http://www.forte-notation.eu/en/index.htm[/url]

two versions one free one costs ya, I downloaded the free one just to try, and think its great.
the program allows you to compose your own music, and then listen to it in any instrument you so desire.
eg: compose a bit of music and then select, electric bass, finger style, or upright bass, acoustic bass, whatever.
There is a tutorial on how to use it but I just blundered around until I worked it out, I'm lazy like that... :)
Try it,... you will lose nothing. !

[quote name='flatwound' post='687874' date='Dec 17 2009, 11:44 PM']Have a look here,

[url="http://www.forte-notation.eu/en/index.htm"]http://www.forte-notation.eu/en/index.htm[/url]

two versions one free one costs ya, I downloaded the free one just to try, and think its great.
the program allows you to compose your own music, and then listen to it in any instrument you so desire.
eg: compose a bit of music and then select, electric bass, finger style, or upright bass, acoustic bass, whatever.
There is a tutorial on how to use it but I just blundered around until I worked it out, I'm lazy like that... :)
Try it,... you will lose nothing. ![/quote]

thanks very much for that , I'll give it a go.

Thanks to everyone for their input!
Matt

I'd also go along with lefty's suggestion of Guitarpro as it is also a very useful tool for learning songs from already available GP files on the net as well as knocking up your own. It's gone up in price though, I recently bought vs 5 and with the poor euro/pound exchange rate it was nearer £60 in the end.

[quote name='KevB' post='688204' date='Dec 18 2009, 11:21 AM']I'd also go along with lefty's suggestion of Guitarpro as it is also a very useful tool for learning songs from already available GP files on the net as well as knocking up your own. It's gone up in price though, I recently bought vs 5 and with the poor euro/pound exchange rate it was nearer £60 in the end.[/quote]

THanks kevB
I think there is a free tial thing, so will have a look.
thanks very much
Matt