Why become a member? ×

BOSS OC-3 Super Octave

iconic

Hi guys,

I really fancied a go at Tom Browne Funkin for Jamaica so bought myself a second hand OC-3, for the octaver part of it, but the sounds always seem to be sort of muddy, growly in a warbling sort of way, sort of flat, there also a sort of delay, it's so much audible more of a delay you can feel as you play...difficult to put into words :)

Are these things junk or am I looking for something it simply can't do?

Yamaha RBX-374 on std round wounds, thru a lil' Orange Crush 20w practice amp

This guy describes how to get the effect thru an octaver but as a rookie I'm not up to speed as I could be

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9IuItsLzuc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9IuItsLzuc[/url]

cheers for the help guys

hi iconic, i'm hoping someone responds to this thread who has had some experience in octavers, as i am looking to get one soon..so sorry i can't offer any insight into your particular pedal. BUT i recently bought a boss syb-5 synth pedal recently,(on the strength of the online demo) and am startying to regret it. it simply does not respond quickly enough to playing frequent notes. i have only really found one useable live sound (a kind of digital fuzz), the other waveforms seem to follow my playing too far behind the initial input. i am therefore interested to see if this is a common problem with boss pedals. my favourite new pedal is my markbass compressore, so i'll be looking at their octave and synth pedals when finance permits, unfortunately i haven't seen enough reviews yet to make a decision..anyway good luck !

[quote name='iconic' post='686160' date='Dec 16 2009, 11:23 AM']Hi guys,

I really fancied a go at Tom Browne Funkin for Jamaica so bought myself a second hand OC-3, for the octaver part of it, but the sounds always seem to be sort of muddy, growly in a warbling sort of way, sort of flat, there also a sort of delay, it's so much audible more of a delay you can feel as you play...difficult to put into words :)

Are these things junk or am I looking for something it simply can't do?

Yamaha RBX-374 on std round wounds, thru a lil' Orange Crush 20w practice amp

This guy describes how to get the effect thru an octaver but as a rookie I'm not up to speed as I could be

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9IuItsLzuc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9IuItsLzuc[/url]

cheers for the help guys[/quote]
oh yeah, forgot to ask, what size speaker do you have ? i would presume that larger cones will produce lower octaves more efficiently (depending on quality, of course..) but i may have opened a can of worms as i am not sure about that theory at all, maybe someone else could clarify..

[quote name='phil.i.stein' post='686685' date='Dec 16 2009, 07:11 PM']oh yeah, forgot to ask, what size speaker do you have ? i would presume that larger cones will produce lower octaves more efficiently (depending on quality, of course..) but i may have opened a can of worms as i am not sure about that theory at all, maybe someone else could clarify..[/quote]

My Orange Crush has only a 8" but it's more the action of the BOSS tht is letting me down, if my PC speakers can sound OK on these low tones I'm sure the amp could handle it...I think!?!

Your description of the 'delay' is better than mine, I tried playing Jamiroquai 'canned heat' using the BOSS and it just can't keep up and the sound is simply aweful :)

I think i know the sound you mean - I use the OC 2 for pretty much everything i do in my band.
It seems to hate stuff like a low E. Like it for want of a better word - worbles.

What i have found works is turning down the 2nd octave a bit - also playing mid/high neck seems to make it play nice. Eg see Chris Wolstenholme from muse in Starlight/Fury etc

Hope this helps at all - It works well for me!

Davie