Why become a member? ×

forgetting a song

munkonthehill

[quote name='Geddys nose' post='684360' date='Dec 14 2009, 07:37 PM']Last gig we did I bollocked up most of the first set and had a shocker remembering any songs went outside drunk a Red Bull and played an absolute blinding second set- Next gig I'm going to experiment with a combination of Red Bull Drinks & Red Bull Tablets :)[/quote]

Exactly the same thing happened to me in the first set of our last gig (not all my fault to be fair, but I still have to hold my hands up).

I used the same solution too.

Only problem was; I got home just after midnight and thanks to the Red Bull was totally wired and couldn't sleep, then had to get up for work at 06:15 - not good. I think I'll just enjoy getting it wrong next time :rolleyes:

Joe Strummer used to remind himself of lyrics by introducing the song as the first line.

For example "This songs called 'Midnight to six man' you might know it better as White Man in Hammersmith Palais"

I do the verbal intros to songs and have nabbed the trick "Here's a new one we were going to call F sharp E B D but we thought <song name> sounded better" Happens quite a lot.

I have a similar experience from time to time, and you're right it's the simplest mind numbing tracks which have the highest potential for blond moments.
A parallel is kicking off a track in the wrong key.... I did it with seven nation army recently ... our guitarist has on I Predict a Riot (not at the same gig thank goodness).
As long as you're not taking yourselves too seriously, then I like to think (I hide behind the assertion that) a mistake or two adds to the live experience :)

Willl

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='685162' date='Dec 15 2009, 01:40 PM']Joe Strummer used to remind himself of lyrics by introducing the song as the first line.

For example "This songs called 'Midnight to six man' you might know it better as White Man in Hammersmith Palais"

I do the verbal intros to songs and have nabbed the trick "Here's a new one we were going to call F sharp E B D but we thought <song name> sounded better" Happens quite a lot.[/quote]

I combine that approach with the setlist - against each number I have the opening notes (or sometimes just the one, when we've changed the key of something, plus a couple of words as reminders of the things that I usually foul up in practice. Print it out in big type (that's an age thing!) and leave it on the floor at the bottome of the mic stand.

So far so good...