Why become a member? ×

squier p/j and squier p/j chrome.

Bass_Junkie

are these exactly the same basses? as i have a p/j in red but would really like the black model wich the chrome pickguard.

loving my squier p/j but its red mettalic, and i did it more because i got it about half the price.

so i'm thinking of selling this one and buying the chrome and black version.

any downsides? upsides?

Thanks.
Bass_Junkie.

According to the squire website, they're identical spec wise barring the chrome pickguard and "black pup covers".

Save your money and buy a better quality p-bass, ala a P-bass Aerodyne special?

Perhaps shop around for a good 2nd hand MIA or MIJ one?

The squires can be good value for money, but even so, there's still something about the more expensive instruments.

Edit: Pop to the for sale section brings up:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=4059"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=4059[/url]

Edited by Buzz

[quote name='Buzz' post='75379' date='Oct 17 2007, 12:39 AM']Yeah, but you bought your current red one for half price, if you sell it, you're gonna have to spend a bit of cash anyway to get the black and chrome one.

Might as well not bother and start saving for a better instrument further down the line.[/quote]
actually that red one i still owe my dad for, it was a try it our buy, but then i discovered the all black one.

so i wont be getting any money from selling the squier.

as he bought it and if i really liked it i'd pay him back, but almost as soon as i bought it i found out about the black model.

[quote name='Bass_Junkie' post='75271' date='Oct 16 2007, 09:32 PM']are these exactly the same basses? as i have a p/j in red but would really like the black model wich the chrome pickguard.

loving my squier p/j but its red mettalic, and i did it more because i got it about half the price.

so i'm thinking of selling this one and buying the chrome and black version.

any downsides? upsides?
Thanks.
Bass_Junkie.[/quote]

Go for the black one, you'll feel cooler if nothing else. I always thought it looked a little Phil Lynott-style, and imho he was uber cool!
You can upgrade to something "better" when you're bored of the black beauty. You could even see if anyone wanted to swap their black bass for your red one?

[quote name='Buzz' post='75379' date='Oct 17 2007, 12:39 AM']Might as well not bother and start saving for a better instrument further down the line.[/quote]
It never surprises me how many basschatters think that everyone has a bottomless pit of cash to dive into every time they fancy a change of instrument.
I'm sure if bass junkie had the dough for a pre-CBS precision, he'd have one of them to go in his arsenal. I imagine bass_junkie took other basses into consideration, but he still owes his old man for his current axe. Getting another squier will help limit the financial burden.

[quote name='sk8' post='78780' date='Oct 24 2007, 12:41 PM']I'm thinking of getting one of these Squiers as i really want a P/J

What are your impressions?[/quote]

I think they're alright; and they can be found in a lot of guitar shops, so you can try a few out and bag up the one that feels best.
There's a few colours as well. I quite like the 'antique burst' colour; but each to their own.

Put a fender headstock decal on it and you can impress your bandmates no end!

Other P/Js to consider:[list]
[*]Yamaha (there's a lot of yammy fans on here)
[*]Washburn (good prices on ebay)
[*]erm... I can't think of any more, but there's bound to be loads
[/list]
I'm sure other forum members can suggest loads more, and probably try and flog you their old P/J at the same time!
What kind of financial damage are you looking at? If you don't mind me asking..