Why become a member? ×

Demo disc experience

Apex

Our covers band has just done a 3-track demo disc at a studio in Bristol. For many of us this was our first experience of professional recording so knowing what to expect and how to judge value and quality of the output was a bit of a stab in the dark. I think being a 6-piece was a bit of a challenge for the sound engineer!

The session took 5 hours and cost us £175 to get a mixed / produced CD at the end of the day. Would appreciate your views on this and the quality of the output! :)

[url="http://www.mediafire.com/?dndd1j1ziyo"]Hornets - Jumping Jack Flash[/url]

[url="http://www.mediafire.com/?jvk32yglnwn"]Hornets - Make Me Smile[/url]

Now edited from .wma to .mp3 - sorry Macophiles!

Edited by Apex

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='683245' date='Dec 13 2009, 07:06 PM']was gonna listen to it. Don't want to download it tho'. Is it windows only?
I have mac[/quote]

Good point - the files are .wma. On a PC they will 'download' straight into media player and play. Not on a Mac I suspect. I'll replace them with .mp3 shortly! Thanks for looking.

Only listened to Jack Flash coz I bloody love that song.

For me, quality seemed very good but waaay too much reverb/chorus on the guitar. Kinda sounded like it was in the next room playing very loudly whereas the vocalist seemed to be sitting in my lap... which isn't the worst thing that could happen :) but I'd still push the vocals back a little.

Having said that, I know f'all about mixing. :rolleyes:

I only listend to it through crappy headphones cause I didn't want to go burning your cd without asking but it sounds grand to me, a little mastering would even out the levels a bit more. As Eight pointed out its just a little off but its not really that big an issue. Price wise it seems like a good deal, more so if it was your own kit and gear ye used cause it can take an age to get drums miked. If you are going to use it in promo packs I would suggest you get it mastered, it'll probably set ye back about £120ish, but it will sound more polished. Great voice too btw. I'd say ye could do some diamond Fleetwood Mac covers.

[quote name='Mog' post='684026' date='Dec 14 2009, 02:27 PM']Opened up jumpin jack. Again, I didnt want to be nicking your work so I didnt save it :) . Are you planning on more recordings?[/quote]
Mog,

Sorry I didn't get back to you fully the first time - it was a bit late and I was half asleep! I'm not sure I understand what you mean by getting it mastered. Our intention is just to use this as a demo disc for getting pub and party gigs, so do you think the quality needs to be improved for that?

Wasn't planning on any more recording until we'd earned enough money to pay for it :rolleyes: !

[quote name='Apex' post='685178' date='Dec 15 2009, 01:53 PM']Mog,

Sorry I didn't get back to you fully the first time - it was a bit late and I was half asleep! I'm not sure I understand what you mean by getting it mastered. Our intention is just to use this as a demo disc for getting pub and party gigs, so do you think the quality needs to be improved for that?

Wasn't planning on any more recording until we'd earned enough money to pay for it :) ![/quote]
No bother lad. The larger venues might be a bit picky so it certainly wont hurt but like I said earlier its not really essential.
Heres a quick copy and paste from wiki. Not a complete explanation but theres enough info there.

Process:
The source material is processed using equalization, compression, limiting, noise reduction and other processes. Subsequently, it is rendered to a medium such as CD or DVD. This mastered source material is also put in the proper order at this stage. This is commonly called the assembly or track sequencing. More tasks such as editing, pre-gapping, leveling, fading in and out, noise reduction and other signal restoration and enhancement processes can be applied as part of the mastering stage.

The specific medium varies, depending on the intended release format of the final product. For digital audio releases, there is more than one possible master medium, chosen based on replication factory requirements or record label security concerns.

A mastering engineer may be required to take other steps, such as the creation of a PMCD (Pre-Mastered Compact Disc), where this cohesive material needs to be transferred to a master disc for mass replication. A good architecture of the PMCD is crucial for a successful transfer to a glass master that will generate stampers for reproduction.

The process of audio mastering varies depending on the specific needs of the audio to be processed. Steps of the process typically include but are not limited to the following:

Transferring the recorded audio tracks into the Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) (optional).
Sequence the separate songs or tracks (the spaces in between) as they will appear on the final product (for example, an audio CD).
Process or "sweeten" audio to maximize the sound quality for its particular medium.
Transfer the audio to the final master format (i.e., Red Book-compatible audio CD or a CD-ROM data, half-inch reel tape, PCM 1630 U-matic tape, etc.).
Examples of possible actions taken during mastering:

Edit minor flaws.
Apply noise reduction to eliminate hum and hiss.
Adjust stereo width.
Add ambience.
Equalize audio between tracks.
Adjust volumes.
Dynamic expansion.
Dynamic compression.
Peak limit the tracks.
The guidelines above are mainly descriptive of the mastering process and not considered specific instructions applicable in a given situation. Mastering engineers need to examine the types of input media, the expectations of the source producer or recipient, the limitations of the end medium and process the subject accordingly. General rules of thumb can rarely be applied.

Edited by Mog