Why become a member? ×

bi-amp

civictiger

Hey guys

Just thought I'd run this question by you lot first before I do anything silly!

I'm looking into bi-amping..
I want one amp to run my clean tone, and one amp to run my effects

now, what do I need to do this?
Do I just need a line splitter? such as the Boss LS-2? (is that a good enough pedal to do its job?) as it has a blend option, or is it a little bit more complicated than that?

Please, any replies would be GREAT!

Think it should be called 'Dual amping', true biamping is using a crossover to split lows and highs.

Anyway, the TU2 tuner will do the splitting for you (will only mute one channel though), easy part, then you have 2 outputs to do what you want with.

The LS2 is better for mixing effects and clean back into the same amp. Handy as a backup on your board if you borrow rigs or somesuch.

ohh, i see. okay i'll refer it as dual amping, then!

and well I just bought a korg pitchblack.. so it would be pretty silly to buy a TU-2 just for that.. do you know of anything else thats specially designed to dual amp that you could refer me to?

and yeahh i was thinking that, as the blend option on the pedal is there.. although i thought it did have 2 outputs, but i guess not hehe.

[quote name='civictiger' post='682660' date='Dec 12 2009, 11:58 PM']ohh, i see. okay i'll refer it as dual amping, then!

and well I just bought a korg pitchblack.. so it would be pretty silly to buy a TU-2 just for that.. do you know of anything else thats specially designed to dual amp that you could refer me to?

and yeahh i was thinking that, as the blend option on the pedal is there.. although i thought it did have 2 outputs, but i guess not hehe.[/quote]

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Art-CoolSwitch-A-B-Y-Box_W0QQitemZ110469331361QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Guitar_Accessories?hash=item19b87c39a1"]This[/url]

or fancier [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TRUE-BYPASS-WOBO-ABY-Switch-split-for-guitar-amps-tuner_W0QQitemZ310187445195QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item48389ccbcb"]one.[/url]

TU2 means less on the board though.

If you have two pickups in your bass, you can seperate them so they each have an output, thats the most versatile.

so i literally just plug my bass into one of the inputs, and then have one output to one amp and and the other output to the other amp?

is that really all there is to it? and also that will not damage the amp at all, will it?

thanks so much for your help so far mate!

Edited by civictiger

[quote name='civictiger' post='682687' date='Dec 13 2009, 12:29 AM']so i literally just plug my bass into one of the inputs, and then have one output to one amp and and the other output to the other amp?

is that really all there is to it? and also that will not damage the amp at all, will it?

thanks so much for your help so far mate![/quote]

Might wanna have some effects in the middle of one. Once you are onto the two outputs from the splitter, its two independent things, like if you had two basses going from there.

yeahh.. i'll draw up a diagram and see exactly how im going to do this before I go ahead and buy something like this..
the first one you shown me doesnt have silent switching - it bangs when you switch channels. so I'll have to invest in a more quality one if I do go for something like this.

well thanks a lot for your help mate! means a lot.

When I was playing 12 string basses I used to plug into an Owen bass Gremlin which had 2 outputs and take one signal to my bass rig for bass funnily enough and the high end to a Trace TVT9 guitar combo for high end distorted stuff.

Easy peasy - the way forward is either an effects pedal with 2 outputs, an A/B/Y box or wire your pickups separately like a Rick with a stereo cable to send each pickup to a different amp.

I did have a 12 string bass that I wired the pickups separately with 2 outputs but the Rick style option would've been neater