Why become a member? ×

Reverb Store, Bristol

cLepto-bass

I havent been to this shop since it was Sound Control, just wondering if there is any point checking it out.

I'm visiting family over Christmas period just outside Bristol so was wondering if the trip to the city centre is worth it. Infact, does anyone know of any other decent music shops that might carry a healthy supply of gear, bass mainly but I always enjoy a look around guitar's and drum kits.

Thanks in advance

[quote name='uzzell' post='680445' date='Dec 10 2009, 05:42 PM']I havent been to this shop since it was Sound Control, just wondering if there is any point checking it out.

I'm visiting family over Christmas period just outside Bristol so was wondering if the trip to the city centre is worth it. Infact, does anyone know of any other decent music shops that might carry a healthy supply of gear, bass mainly but I always enjoy a look around guitar's and drum kits.

Thanks in advance[/quote]

Gosh yes. Book your bass in for a service with Eltham Jones (Edge Guitar Services) who rents space out the back. Really good luthier
[url="http://www.edgeguitarservices.co.uk/index.htm"]http://www.edgeguitarservices.co.uk/index.htm[/url]

If you're in Bristol, I'd suggest checking out Electric Ladyland in Old Market. That is, if you can physically get in the shop - literally packed with old Japcrap,vintage amps & God knows what :)

Edited by nick

[quote name='nick' post='680562' date='Dec 10 2009, 07:31 PM']If you're in Bristol, I'd suggest checking out Electric Ladyland in Old Market. That is, if you can physically get in the shop - [b]literally packed with old Japcrap,vintage amps & God knows what[/b] :)[/quote]

Sounds like my kind of place.

That description reminds me of The Music Box (think thats what its called) in Oxford. Tiny little Aladin's cave of old old stuff, some good, mostly bad though.

[quote name='nick' post='680562' date='Dec 10 2009, 07:31 PM']If you're in Bristol, I'd suggest checking out Electric Ladyland in Old Market. That is, if you can physically get in the shop - literally packed with old Japcrap,vintage amps & God knows what :lol:[/quote]

Give Steve a call before venturing over to make sure he'll open the door for you :)
0117 983 2500

Had a set of Antigua fender basses and guitars last time I pressed my GAS filled nose against the glass (it was shut :rolleyes:) Some gems in there but he does know what he has and his prices reflect ..

[quote name='OldGit' post='680676' date='Dec 10 2009, 09:17 PM']Give Steve a call before venturing over to make sure he'll open the door for you :)
0117 983 2500

Had a set of Antigua fender basses and guitars last time I pressed my GAS filled nose against the glass (it was shut :rolleyes:) Some gems in there but he does know what he has and his prices reflect ..[/quote]

Cheers for the heads up.

Personally I think the Bristol Reverb is sh*te these days.... especially for bass, hardly anything in there...

you might find Jam Guitars in Clifton interesting (Sandberg, Warwick, boutique pedals) & Absolute guitars in Backwell (Fender, Shecter, Spector)

Treblerock also in Clifton (the village part) has a few 2nd hand bits of interest (a beautiful old Stingray there awhile back, dunno if it's still there)

Rickaxxe in Broadmead has the same stock that was there 10 years ago!... probably!

The basement in Mickleboroughs, Stokes Croft has cheap & cheerful ..but if Ian is working there, you'll get a great chat..
(a very learned fellow!)

I've heard it's quite hard to get Steve at Electric Ladyland to actually sell you anything!....

I must admit that Reverb has been indifferent, but sort of Ok after a fashion. Certainly it could do with a boot up the arse.
Rickaxxe isnt really worth bothering with. I haven't tried Absolute yet but although i know one Bc'er has had some difficult dealings with them, I'll reserve judgement until I go in there. Drum bank on the Gloucester road is ok if the older chap is in there, the kids dont care much.
It must be said that I still see myself as being very new to this. I might not be the best person to comment. However, I used to work in the retail trade and I understand selling and good attitude as opposed to bad or uncaring.
Cheers
Matt