Why become a member? ×

Obscure Musical Backwaters - The Great SGC Nanyo Thread

Happy Jack

2 hours ago, SICbass said:

Is it possible that the guy from the shop wired one or other pots to the wrong part of the central board (i.e. the blue thingy attached to a board)? Or would that then cease to function altogether?

You can move the pots to where you want them without having to change any wiring. The neck of the pots are the same size, if I recall correctly. Just undo the nuts on the front, the pots will drop into the cavity, and move each control where you would like them to be and thread the nut back on.  Perhaps label them before you do that, though 😉

The factory standard, courtesy of Breadbin, is

Upper front - volume, no indent, green

Lower front - pan, indented, blue

Upper rear - bass, indented, red

Lower rear - treble, indented, yellow

but, personally, I like to keep the EQ on the bottom, volume and blend on top. I'd do it like this

Upper front - volume

Upper rear - pan

Lower front - bass

Lower rear - treble

But it's up to you to decide. Put them where it makes sense to you.

• Thanks 1

On 25/04/2024 at 12:07, BreadBin said:

That's exactly what the bass control does 

I don't believe in emojis, so "embarrassed face". I know what you mean - I even thought about that while writing my comment. It just "felt" less like a cut/boost in bass frequencies and more like a volume change. Which, as you pointed out, amounts to the same thing on a bass. (Walks away with hands in pockets whistling away my red face).

Thanks again for your help... and your patience.

Edited by SICbass

NBD. Scored this ultra rare (I think) SGC Nanyo with a (kind of) through neck. 
Precursor to the Godlyke Deity. 
Great build quality and lovely (and not expensive )  BUT had clearly been stored somewhere damp I think (someone having a clear out of dad’s gear I believe. London flat was a hoarders paradise when I collected..!) 

So…. Slight issues are some minor (?) fret lift (lovely enjoy board) and the 18v preamp had two 2001 (!) batteries in so some minor corrosion. 

Of more concern (after replacing batteries) is the EQ. 

Volume and blend work, but other 3 controls (I assumed to be treble/mid/bass) don’t work properly. 
Not sure if new pots needed?
2 pots seem to be bass/treble boost and cut (with centre detents) and 3rd (no detent) *may* be some kind of notch filter etc? I think the Godlyke had this?

Grateful for any knowledge (including model number/name if it exists!) and advice

IMG_9450.heic IMG_9451.heic IMG_9454.heic IMG_9456.heic IMG_9458.heic IMG_9453.heic IMG_9375.heic IMG_9377.heic IMG_9363.heic IMG_9365.heic

Upload jpegs, I can't see that type of image file.

I've had both types of Godlyke preamp and it sounds like you have the Gen 1. 

The mystery knob is a notch filter (cuts up to -20 dB @ 850 Hz) on front plus one internal trimmer for Midrange Boost/Cut. If the trim is at center position, midrange would be flat.

Thanks!  

I’m guessing there’s no model name/number for these?

hoping that a good clean of lots/board may get everything working properly. Or worst case new pots for the bass/treble. 

even with issues it’s very quiet for a 90s (?) Japanese bass and seems very powerful. No need to upgrade anything!