Why become a member? ×

Couriers for shipping bass gear

iainCameron

hullo all,

Bass gear is heavy/bulky - makes postage difficult. Noticed that in a few threads here recently.

This might help some of you out - I've used an online service (shiply.com) a couple of times to find me quotes from couriers to collect & deliver amps/cabs and even a double bass.

Basically, you tell them what you need collected/delivered, and various couriers then quote for your business, competing against each other to hopefully bring the price down for you. I guess there are delivery vans going up and down the country all the time, and better for them to alway have something in the back of the van. you're not obliged to accept any of the quotes. i've found that the first quote will be high, but wait a day or so and you'll get some good offers.

As always, you need to use your own judgement - I'm not recommending the service as such, just saying that I've used it to get a double bass from kent to aberdeen, door to door, for <£40, and a 2x10combo a similar price for similar distance.

cheers
iain

I've just used them.

Word of warning? Don't automatically pick the cheapest - read the feedback!

I used the second most expensive quote because the feedback said he was good. And he really was. South Wales to Essex in less than 24 hours for less than the petrol in my car would have cost.

I've found www.interparcel.com good, wide choice of courier, DHL good price for heavy items e.g. peavey firebass 700, bulky items 15" guitar combo, Peavey bass combo 300 (f heavy).

I have no business interest, just experience of moving heavy/big kit.