Why become a member? ×

Yamaha TRBi and TRBii

noelk27

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='669161' date='Nov 29 2009, 03:18 PM']The original TRB's are beyond reproach. The through neck design model has all the quality and sounds you'll ever need or want. ...[/quote]

That's where I'm getting confused. For some reason I'd assumed that the original series I TRB models were thru-neck, and that bolt-on appeared with the series II models. But a TRB I've been offered is an original series I, bolt-on. Given that, unless the circuit was altered, and with the exception of the string access recess, is there any difference between a series I and a series II 5-string?

Hi there
Never owned the TRB series myself, but i did have a nathan east model for a while, which had the same electronics as the TRB1(and probably the same as your BB ) the circuit in that had a preset mid control offering two diffrent settings that were fully adjusable from trimpots in the control cavity, it was my first active bass at the time so didnt really use the feature properly, i remember thinking at the time it looked better than it sounded (a lovely aqua quilt ) but was probably pilot error on my part, as far as i know the TRB2 had a standard mid cut and boost, but i think you could still change the frequency ,also that is when they went to 35" scale, if im wrong im sure someone will let me know :)
hope this helps the original ones were amazing basses, and ive heard many players get amazing sounds out of them - all the best - lee
PS - the neck through ones were known as TRBP as they have a piezo as well as the magnetic pickups!!

Edited by lee650

[quote name='lee650' post='669463' date='Nov 29 2009, 08:58 PM'][T]he circuit in [the Nathan East] had a preset mid control offering two diffrent settings that were fully adjusable from trimpots in the control cavity, ... as far as i know the TRB2 had a standard mid cut and boost ...[/quote]

The trimpots, in the BB1500A, what I usually refer to as the two "blue boxes". So the BB1500 has the same tone circuit as the TRBi. That clarifies things.

I own a TRB5 and TRB6. Used to have a TRB5II. Also got a BB1500A.

The electronics in the II series are a little quieter, but the build, feel and basic tone of the Series 1 is (in my opinion) much superior. I also personally prefer the 34" scale. If you are offered a Series 1 TRB5 I'd grab it!!

If the BB1500A electronics are the same as the TRB I hadn't noticed! I suppose it does have a similar mid-control pot.

Standard TRBs are all bolt-on. The P (piezo) models go neck-thru.