Why become a member? ×

ebay 'DIY Guitar'

ignorantshed

Hi all , have been looking into building a custom jazz bass, just stumbled across this on ebay and was wondering if any one here has had any experience with these kits and what the quality and sound is like from these bodies. i would upgrade pickups and tuners etc seems a very good price and any feedback would be much appreciated

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DIY-Guitar-Shop-Ash-Jazz-Style-Bass-Guitar-Builder-Kit_W0QQitemZ370295064565QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item56374e47f5"]DIY guitar ebay[/url]

thanks

[quote name='kennyrodg' post='668900' date='Nov 29 2009, 05:44 AM']The first thing I noticed was the 20 fret neck,it states 22 in the listing.I'd double check on that first but it looks like it could be fun. :)[/quote]

i think if the seller is used to selling guitar kits then it's an easy mistake to make to look down at the end of the fretboard and think "the last fret doesn't have a dot. Therefore, 22 frets" like on a guitar but obv for a bass it's different.

[quote name='Buzz' post='669682' date='Nov 30 2009, 01:45 AM']Hmmm, "3 piece ash body". The top shot on the listing looks like a one piece, so I'd discount that.

I suspect you might have to paint it as I reckon it won't be bookmatched, but still, cheap for a good preshaped ash body anyway.[/quote]
If it's a solid ash body the chances of it being bookmatched are close to zero for just about any guitar. That shouldn't mean it'll look bad, although if it really does offend you a mid-dark tinted finish often gives you the best of both worlds.