Why become a member? ×

Any Pete Farndon fans out there?

Bass_In_Yer_Face

30 years after it's release I finally got round to listening to The Pretenders first album and loved some of the bass parts on it.

After googling it, I found it was a guy called Pete Farndon who tragically died from drug abuse in 1983 but looked cool as f**ck, bit like Paul Simenon crossed with the Stray Cats

Oh and James Honeyman-Scott's guitar playing is worth a mention as well, another one who died of drug abuse in the same year.

What a waste.

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='666378' date='Nov 26 2009, 03:57 PM']Me. Great bass player. Always played for the song.

Met him a couple of times on the London bike scene too. Obscenely quick rider on an old Triumph Bonneville.[/quote]

He rode a Bonneville?... He's just gone up even further in my opinion!.....for me a bloke that grew up in a house that was British bike mad that makes him great on two accounts!

He was cool. Seeing him playing (I think) a Guild B301 painted like the Japanese flag (memory fading) in 1980 made me want to be a bass player.

Thanks for the reminder. I tried to set up a Pretenders-style band, and one of the potential frontwomen was Eddi Reader. Always got at (not) spotting talent, me... :)

[quote name='Mickeyboro' post='666448' date='Nov 26 2009, 04:53 PM']He was cool. Seeing him playing (I think) a Guild B301 painted like the Japanese flag (memory fading) in 1980 made me want to be a bass player.

Thanks for the reminder. I tried to set up a Pretenders-style band, and one of the potential frontwomen was Eddi Reader. Always got at (not) spotting talent, me... :)[/quote]

You are correct, here is the very bass you were talking about...wonder were it is now?..don't think it's a Guild B301 though

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCf5wLyfkvQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCf5wLyfkvQ[/url]

Edited by Bass_In_Yer_Face