Why become a member? ×

Line 6 Relay G30 Digital Wireless Guitar System

Rich

[b]Mini review by AREA, from [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=57284"]this thread[/url]:[/b]

[i]Digital Wireless got me....

Here´s a short Review.

At First, let me say I´m impressed.

As I said, when I come home the Parcel was waiting for me.

The G30 is real "Plug & Play" nothing you have to adjust or something. Just connect the receiver to the Power Supply, wich is included of course. What I like is, that you can power the Receiver with a Daisy Chain Cable also, when it´s added to your Pedal Board. The Receiver is very light. You feel it´s Plastic. Line 6 says ist not just Plastic, it´s Polycarbonate, wich is more sturdy. Time will tell, but what will you do to, or with the Receiver? Nothing. You won´t step on it or something. Little green Led Chains informes you about the Transmitting Status/Quality/Level/Strenght and about the Battery Status.
With one of the little silver Sliders you can select One of Six selectable Channels, with the other you can simmulate "Cable Tone" of a 15 or 30 Feet long Cable. Just have checked it very fast and it seems, that you loose some little Highs with Cable Tone, but you have to listen very exactly.

The Bodypack Transmitter is also "Bonehead-Simple". Two Signal LEDs show you that you a.) got an Audio Signal and b.) about the Battery Status. You also got a little silver Slider to select one of the six Channels. The Transmitter requieres two AA Size Batteries or Akkus. What I like about the Bodypack Transmitter is, that you can use every Mono Patch Cable to connect the Transmitter to your Bass or Guitar. You don´t have a special and expencive Cable or need one to buy if you like one as a Backup. Just use a Patch Cable in good Quality and about 50cm Length. By the Way, the Cable wich is delivered with the System, is a little bit stiff. It´s not the one you see on the Picture below.

Okay. So far so good.

Plugged in my passive Fender 5-String Bass and the first Thing you notice is: It´s absolut deadly quiet. You hear absolute nothing, if you don´t play. It´s like playing with Cable and it sounds like playing with Cable. I can´t hear any Difference. Same Dynamics, same Signal Quality, same Output Level. I´ve checked and compared it 2-3 Times. I can´t hear any Difference. Really. Tone is as punchy, warm as played through Cable and also the Low B shows no Compression like it does, if you play with analogue UHF Systems.

Then I went through my whole Appartement. From Living Room to Bedroom, Kitchen. Through 2-3 Walls. I still have had a Signal. No Drop Outs. Must be enough for every Stage we´re playing on.

That´s my first Impression and I have to say: I like it.
We´ve got Practice this Evening and of Course I will test it in our Bandroom too. But until now I lke to say: Recommended!!!

[/i]

• 2 years later...

My good lady bought me a G30 for my birthday last December. Like the bulk of Line6's kit, it does what it says on the box, works first time and is reasonably priced. One word of warning if you're purchasing from Thomann...the power supply is of a European/EU type; Line6 UK sent me a free UK one, so kudos to them.
P

• 7 months later...

Great piece of kit, I tend to only get one gig out of the batteries and I have had a few embarrassing moments when I tried to get 2 gigs and the batteries died in the last few songs. The only other thing is I am in constant fear that I will break the battery over. It seems very week.

That aside, brilliant tone and fantastic range. Great for when you are doing sound from stage I can walk to the back of the room for a quick check with no loss in signal or tone.

I love mine, although would probably go for the G50 if buying again as the transmitter unit is metal I believe. I found pound shop batteries didn't even last for a whole rehearsal, but a set of Duracells lasted ages. I find the battery compartment door catch hard to shut-it does eventually, but it's a struggle. I had a look at Line 6's forum, it seems to be a common complaint, but Line 6 refuse to accept that it exists. Still a cracking bit of kit.

I played my first gig with my new G30 last friday and loved it, as comments, no detectable loss of tone or signal, perfect .
I am aware of the battery compartment door weakness though, due to the spring force of the terminals at the bottom of the unit, the batteries push upwards against the door which has a cheap weak looking catch, I will only leave batteries in the unit for the duration of a gig which should dramatically reduce the time the door catch is under stress .
The other weak area I have read about is the belt clip mounting breaking, I simply play with my unit in my back pocket, no problems .