Why become a member? ×

Marshall VBA400 and 4x12 cab

basshead56

Hey mate,

I used to have the VBA400 and used it for over 2 years and i loved it. Its got a proper huge sound and really packs a punch. Stands up to any Ampeg or Mesa in my opinion. Only reason i got rid is because i got offered a straight swap for my now Trace V4.

Have a look at the tubes in it and make sure they aint glowing blue too much and that they dont need replacing soon as its quite a hefty bill when you have to as it has 8 x 6550's in it.

Have only heard the VBC412 once and that sounded great also. Really works well with the big amp. Defo worth a swap if you want big!

i payed just over a grand for my amp brand new, and that was just the head!

[quote name='basshead56' post='663963' date='Nov 24 2009, 04:30 PM']Hi,
Need a wee bit of help.
In trying to shift my guitar amp (JCM2000 TSL and 1960a cab), I've been offered a swap.
its a Marshall VBA 400 head and matching 4x12.
Anyone know if this is a good move?
Any thoughts on the amp?
Cheers[/quote]
jump on it mate, can't go wrong with a vba400 unless you want to crank it haha.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys for all your help.
Being the curious young soul I am, I drove to the other side of the country (CO. Wexford) with two Marshall guitar halfstacks (we had a gig on Sat in Cork) on Friday afternoon
Took forever to find my way to the place where the VBA400 was. GPS was no help at all! Pulled into a lare, scary farmyard (was dark by 4.30) and was greeted by a this bloke´s younger brother (who was the one that the swap was to benefit) who ushered me toward a porta-cabin-esque building which had the lights on. Walked up the steps (fashioned from breezeblocks) and there she was, A VBA400 atop a VBC4x12, atop what looked like the bottom half of a cab case (on castors)
Plugged in my 78 P, let the valves warm up (all present and correct), clicked standby and had a noddle-a life changing moment!
Gorgeous tone!!!
I was sold after about 5 mins!
He powered up the TSL and was happy (he didnt seem to know much about these amps).We agreed the deal, I declined the offer of a cup of tea, went back out to the portacabin, put my bass in the case and took it to the car. I came back and he had put the cab AND head into flight cases, not covers! Proper cases, made for the head and cab! The TSL didnt even have covers.lol.
getting them into the Megane was a pain, but well worth it and driving down the laneway on the way out, i got that feeling I sometimes get when i know I´ve done better out of a trade than the other bloke-get "outta there before they realise they´ve made a huge mistake!"
Gigged it saturday and did not want to get off stage after, I´m in love.
Everyone should have a VBA400 (and 2 roadies!!!)

Now looking for a 2nd VBC4x12!!!

Edited by basshead56