Why become a member? ×

Hohner Jack Bass Custom V vs. Fender JB Deluxe Series MIM

AlX

guys.. what do you say ?
i´m about to put my 1996 Fender Jazz Bass V Deluxe Series MIM on sale cos i´m gassing a Hohner Professional Jack Bass Custom V.
Of course i know the look and feel is absolutely different and i´m ok with it... but talking about the sound... is it too different ? Both are actives and have 2 J pups...
How good is the Hohner ?
Thanks in advance for your advice.

I reckon the Hohner Pro Series are vastly underrated.

I had a JJ Pro Jazz & it was an excellent instrument - I only parted with it because it had 4 strings.

My current main bass is a Hohner B Bass V which is essentially a Jack with a headstock.

The neck-through construction is excellent and it plays beautifully (made by Cort in Korea as was the JJ).

In the long term, I've replaced the EMG Selects with Joe Bardens and the rather top & bottom-centric pre with a U-Retro. All makes for a superb (for me ) instrument.

I've also owned a Hohner Jaguar-type thing and currently have an extremely sweet little Hohner Strat which is one of the nicest little players I've ever owned.

These Pro instruments usually have maple necks & bodies & the older ones were made in Korea by Cort, which has now moved to Indonesia.

G.

Edited by geoffbyrne

thanks for the answers guys... I guess i´ll replace my Fender JB V with the Hohner... I can´t stand this gas anymore. hahah.. everything you say makes the hohner more tempting... i agree.. is an underrated instrument..

Thanks !

AlX

[quote name='AlX' post='662725' date='Nov 23 2009, 02:45 PM']thanks for the answers guys... I guess i´ll replace my Fender JB V with the Hohner... I can´t stand this gas anymore. hahah.. everything you say makes the hohner more tempting... i agree.. is an underrated instrument..

Thanks !

AlX[/quote]
You won't regret it, it fits in a guitar gig bag, never goes out of tune, balances beautifully, change strings in seconds, great pups and tronics, did I mention it does awesome dub sounds too :)

I got a dark brown Hohner Jack for my 18th birthday and played it for about 5 years. They never go out of tune and also if you've got a small car (I had a metro at the time) they will still fit across the boot in a standard guitar case...

I sold mine about 7-8 years ago and have always regretted it. I still keep an eye out for (a maple) one at a good price...