Why become a member? ×

Hartke LH500

BassBen

Any body got one these?

What are they like for reliability?

I am thinking about swapping my peavey firebass for one as I will be getting a Barefaced compact soon and I want more watts at 8ohms. Plus its about half the weight!

What are the pros and cons for the LH500?

Cheers,

Pro: Cheap, tonnes of power.
Con: Limited EQ options.

I've had mine since about March I think, haven't had any issues with it, been using it two or three times a week since then. I was thinking about pairing it with a rack EQ or preamp but honestly I haven't felt the need - the three-band on board works well enough for me.

There's a couple of threads here about it if you do a search.

I've had no problems with reliability. I think the LH500 is a great amp. I used to have a Nitrobass, which is like the Firebass but with a bit less power. Do you ever use the DI out on the Firebass? If so, you should be aware that the DI out on the LH500 has far fewer features.

The EQ options are limited but I have no problem getting a good tone out of the LH500 with Barefacedbass Compact. I've also found that with the LH500 in a 2U rack bag, it's easy to carry the Compact in one hand and the LH500 in the other - they balance quite nicely.

S.P.

Thank you for the input guys. looks like it will be a good swap.

I currently don’t use the DI on the peavey. However I will be using it a lot on the Hartke due to my up coming gigs all insist everything is DI’d.

Have you ever had a sound man have a problem with the Hartke DI?

Cheers,

[quote name='BassBen' post='659307' date='Nov 19 2009, 03:15 PM']Have you ever had a sound man have a problem with the Hartke DI?

Cheers,[/quote]

Only had mine for about 5 gigs. Never use a soundman but I'm always DI'd into our PA. No problems, nice signal to the desk, pre eq and volume, sounds good through the PA.

[quote name='BassBen' post='659366' date='Nov 19 2009, 04:10 PM']What’s the head is like for recording, are the fans noisy or anything?

I am a big fan of miking up the rig rather than DI when recording.[/quote]

As long as you put the microphone in front of the speaker and not behind the amp head, you won't have a problem. :)

S.P.

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='659373' date='Nov 19 2009, 04:17 PM']As long as you put the microphone in front of the speaker and not behind the amp head, you won't have a problem. :rolleyes:

S.P.[/quote]

Very funny.. :)

cool, well I think that it is a good idea to swap over the Hartke LH500.

I will let you all know once I have joined the LH500 gang.

Thanks guys!

[quote name='BassBen' post='659390' date='Nov 19 2009, 04:34 PM']Very funny.. :)

cool, well I think that it is a good idea to swap over the Hartke LH500.

I will let you all know once I have joined the LH500 gang.

Thanks guys![/quote]

You wont regret it. They do sound pretty darn good.

[quote name='Raggy' post='659424' date='Nov 19 2009, 05:02 PM']You wont regret it. They do sound pretty darn good.[/quote]

+1
had mine almost a year now, no problems at all (I got mine while they were still £180 new, now they have almost doubled)
lovely tone, I never need the eq section on anything but as flat as possible (bass - 2, mid - full, treble - 3)
never needed to D.I it, as I run it 500watts into a Berg HT210 and HT115

however because of the Bergs being so good, they pick-up the tiny bit of hiss it puts out
but with a Barefaced Compact, never heard it hiss once

great amp, hope you get one soon

[quote name='BassBen' post='663530' date='Nov 24 2009, 10:33 AM']I am still thinking about this hartke peavey swap. On the Peavey amp I use the contour all the time. Is there a pedel out there that does the same thing?[/quote]

As far as I'm aware, the contour control is basically a mid-scoop. So you'll be able to achieve the same thing on the LH500 by simply cutting the mids a little, and increasing the volume to compensate.

S.P.