Why become a member? ×

Tutu revisited gig

barks

I have a ticket for this gig on 22 November at the Barbican in London and may not be able to make it. :)
Just wondered if anyone might want to have my ticket - for a small fee(!)
I would imagine that this will be a great gig having seen Marcus Miller before.
PM me if you're interested.

Regards
Neil.

[quote name='barks' post='665044' date='Nov 25 2009, 01:35 PM']So did anyone see this gig? How was it?

Neil.[/quote]

OK, I'll try to be as objective as possible as I am a big fan of MM but I thought it was absolutely fantastic. :)

He had some very talented youngsters with him and they all gave a more modern update on (IMHO) the 80's sounding Tutu album. Plus they did a couple of MM tracks and others.
Good venue, good sound and a great performance. I wanted to go and see it again.

BTW, The only downside for me was the support act - Gary Husband (Level 42 drummer) and his jazz quartet 'Drive'. As much as I try to understand this type of jazz music (think The Fast Show's Jazz Club...nice!), I just can't get it. The DB player was playing his heart out but it did nothing for me.I knew I was in trouble when the sax player in Drive stopped playing and just closed his eyes.......... :rolleyes: There was another support act on the public stage beforehand and they were doing the same improv. style jazz. I just struggled to see the link between what all the individuals were all playing.

Yeah, I thought Gary's band wan't that good either. Sounded like noise to me...

Marcus on the other hand was a complete contrast! The bass sound was a bit boomy at the start (or was it me?) but got better during the gig. They even came back onstage for an encore afterwards. I was pretty depressed when I woke up next morning and I finally realised that I was back to reality :)

Edited by SuperMaximo

As others have said. The support band weren't very good (in my opinion). They could obviously play, but they just didn't seem to want to play the same tune :) It's the type of "jazz" that I really can't take to. The double bass player worked his socks off. But trumpet and sax seemed to do that thing where they play one not, stop and play it again (the repeat) - well certainly for the first tune but by the end of that I'd lost interest, so couldn't say what they did the rest of the set.

Thankfully they weren't on for long.

Marcus ran the show when he came on. Fantastic grooves and the young guys he had (on drums, trumpet and sax.) were truly brilliant, as, of course, was Marcus. Keyboards occasionally seemed to struggle (just in my opinion). But all in all a great night from some great musicians.

[quote name='4000' post='665629' date='Nov 25 2009, 09:34 PM']Sounds like the first band were probably actually jazz, as Marcus certainly isn't.[/quote]

Umm, wow. I'm not sure what to say to that. I thought I was at a Jazz festival listening to music from the album "Tutu" by the Jazz trumpet player Miles Davies, played by a bass player who was a winner of "best contemporary jazz album" and who has also played with many great contemporary jazz musicians. We'd better ask him (or whoever maintains) his facebook page to change the genre as it mistakenly says "Jazz" :rolleyes:

EDIT: Oh and he plays a Jazz bass :)

Edited by purpleblob

[quote name='4000' post='665629' date='Nov 25 2009, 09:34 PM']Sounds like the first band were probably actually jazz, as Marcus certainly isn't.[/quote]

But can't Jazz can take on many formats? (Trad. Jazz, Jazz Funk, dixieland,etc etc)
Whilst I agree that Marcus is in the funky end of Jazz, my original point was that personally, I struggle with whatever style you would call this 'freestyle jazz'.

To my ears, it just comes out as noise. I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with that but I look at other people listening and nodding to the music and wonder what they are hearing?
FP