Why become a member? ×

Help needed with pick-up replacement

silentbob

Hi, i have decided to replace all of the components in my Vintage Stingray copy and have today received the new pick-up. The new pick-up has more wires than the one i took out, so i was just wondering if anybody could offer some advice as to why that would be and where they sould go. The old p-up has a large grey covering containing some multi-strand wires surrounding smaller red and white wires. The multi-strand and the red wire were soldered to the right hand tab of the volume pot, and the white was soldered to the middle tab. The new one also has a large grey covering, but contains a large black wire, and smaller yellow, red and white wires, the red and white being soldered together.
Any help with this would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Rob

[quote name='silentbob' post='654823' date='Nov 14 2009, 08:41 PM']Hi, i have decided to replace all of the components in my Vintage Stingray copy and have today received the new pick-up. The new pick-up has more wires than the one i took out, so i was just wondering if anybody could offer some advice as to why that would be and where they sould go. The old p-up has a large grey covering containing some multi-strand wires surrounding smaller red and white wires. The multi-strand and the red wire were soldered to the right hand tab of the volume pot, and the white was soldered to the middle tab. The new one also has a large grey covering, but contains a large black wire, and smaller yellow, red and white wires, the red and white being soldered together.
Any help with this would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Rob[/quote]

the first wiring seems to be a hot to pin white.......... and a ground red..along with the multi strand shield
simply hot and ground...so if its a stingray pup style it must be wired internally parallel...that is how musicmen are wired stock
[i]you know that red would normally be a hot...if its on the ground then your pup is wired single coil...the red should be on with the white and the multi strand is ground...strange[/i]

the second wiring is a set of wires for each coil so that series parallel and single coil can be wired if a selector switch is available
if not then the normal colour codes are...white/black red/yellow
white and red are hot
black and yellow are ground
wire the white and red to the centre pin since they are soldered to each other anyway
that is parallel wiring
and the black and yellow to the ground pin
there doesnt seem to be a shield in your second pup wiring...not all have them

that is a start rob..hope its a help

Edited by mrcrow

Thanks for the replys, i think i will be able to have a go at re-wiring it now. One more thing i would like to know is what capaciters i should use on the two, tone pots. The ones that were on there were .047uF, but it appears that .022uf types should be used with humbucking pick-ups. Should i replace like for like, or use the alternative type?