Why become a member? ×

Pain in my picking hand

Hello_Dave

Hi. This is my first post but Ive been around since the days of bassworld.

I play with a plectrum and at recent gigs I've been getting quite serious pain in my picking hand. The problem is in between the thumb and index finger from holding the plectrum where I get this throbbing pain literally after only about 2 or 3 songs into the set. Obviously I play through the pain but sometimes towards the end it can get pretty unbearable and has an effect on my playing.

It's frustrating as I like to play fast and sometimes it becomes impossible during some of the more intense basslines to play them well. Or if I push myself too much I end up finishing the gig with a pretty intense, burning pain in the affected area.

Any ideas to help solve this?

[quote name='Hello_Dave' post='5774' date='May 24 2007, 02:31 PM']Hi. This is my first post but Ive been around since the days of bassworld.

I play with a plectrum and at recent gigs I've been getting quite serious pain in my picking hand. The problem is in between the thumb and index finger from holding the plectrum where I get this throbbing pain literally after only about 2 or 3 songs into the set. Obviously I play through the pain but sometimes towards the end it can get pretty unbearable and has an effect on my playing.

It's frustrating as I like to play fast and sometimes it becomes impossible during some of the more intense basslines to play them well. Or if I push myself too much I end up finishing the gig with a pretty intense, burning pain in the affected area.

Any ideas to help solve this?[/quote]

Hello Dave (i can't help laughing at that)

I get that now and again and sometimes I can't grip a pick. I put it down almost exclusively to dehydration and have tried to not drink any alchohol before going on stage and instead to drink plenty of water. it comes and goes and it's more prevalent when playing some of the faster stuff. I tried using thicker or moulded picks with a different surface and sometimes using a smaller pick helps. What sort of picks are you using?

Edited by john_the_bass

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='5784' date='May 24 2007, 02:47 PM']Hello Dave (i can't help laughing at that)

I get that now and again and sometimes I can't grip with a pick. I put it down almost exclusively to dehydration and have tried to not drink any alchohol before going on stage and instead to drink plenty of water. it comes and goes and it's more prevalent when playing some of the faster stuff. I tried using thicker or moulded picks with a different surface and sometimes using a smaller pick helps. What sort of picks are you using?[/quote]

Various 1.14mm regular guitar picks. Ive not really experimented with different shapes so I might have to start to see if that has an effect.

[quote name='Hello_Dave' post='5787' date='May 24 2007, 02:49 PM']Yea I intend to. Thanks for the tip on the Ibuleve, not heard of it before.[/quote]

Yeah... anti-imflammatories are a good idea.

In addition to seeing a doctor, maybe you should consider lightening your attack or looking at ways to reduce extra and unnecessary strain on that part of your hand.

would be interested to see how these work and if they would make a difference
potentially, you could spread the pressure of your grip through your hand to minimise the strain in the one area where you grip a pick

[url="http://www.groovetubes.com/product.cfm?Product_ID=2095"]http://www.groovetubes.com/product.cfm?Product_ID=2095[/url]

Guest subaudio

I would say, if it hurts stop playing, not good at a gig but you dont want to risk long term injury, do you play with your wrist locked or do you play from your wrist? the best advice I could give is see a teacher who will help with technique's that wont hurt, a couple of lessons and a few hours practice should get it sorted.

I never had a lesson in my life so I think it's possible that it may be my technique that is the route of the problem. My wrist is usually pretty loose when I play, I don't know if that's a bad thing or not.

John, Im gonna get that power pick, if it does what it say's it could be very handy, I could play with less intensity whilst still getting the power on the strings. I'll let you know how I get on!

[quote name='Hello_Dave' post='5816' date='May 24 2007, 03:21 PM']I never had a lesson in my life so I think it's possible that it may be my technique that is the route of the problem. My wrist is usually pretty loose when I play, I don't know if that's a bad thing or not.

John, Im gonna get that power pick, if it does what it say's it could be very handy, I could play with less intensity whilst still getting the power on the strings. I'll let you know how I get on![/quote]

Dave, if you don't want to get one from the US, hotrox in nottingham sell them. www.hotroxuk.com

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='5799' date='May 24 2007, 01:59 PM']would be interested to see how these work and if they would make a difference
potentially, you could spread the pressure of your grip through your hand to minimise the strain in the one area where you grip a pick

[url="http://www.groovetubes.com/product.cfm?Product_ID=2095"]http://www.groovetubes.com/product.cfm?Product_ID=2095[/url][/quote]

I would like some opinions on these also, its the first time i have seen them. anyone used them? my problem is the opposite. i don't hold the pick firmly enough and it tends to float around my fingers a bit.

[quote name='dlloyd' post='5874' date='May 24 2007, 03:42 PM']Try these...

[url="http://www.wegenpicks.com/"]http://www.wegenpicks.com/[/url]

They're expensive, but worth every penny. And at £8 a shot, you don't lose them.[/quote]

Thanks, i'll have a look at those.

[quote name='BlueBear' post='5934' date='May 24 2007, 05:56 PM']I used to get the same pain in my hand when using Big Stubby picks. When I moved back to standard picks the pain went.

I now use a .71 guage which is probably all wrong in some people's eyes but it works for me.[/quote]

I feel the pain more when using thinner gauges but whatever works best for you is what matters!

About those Wegen ones....I can't believe Im actually contemplating buying a plectrum for 8 quid but I just wonder if using a 5mm pick might help as the pain seems to come from my tight grip as someone suggested above. If I was holding something thicker I think it would be more comfortable and I wouldn't need to hit the strings as hard so the pressure wouldn't be as great at the point inbetween thumb and index.

I hope somebody proves that to be wrong so I don't have to shell out £8 for something that is pretty much guarenteed to get lost after a week lol.

i have had this before, to the point where i could no longer feel my thumb and had to revert to finger style mid song, i found warming up better done the trick, i always used to work on my fretting hand more during warm up, since i addressed this the problem has went away, i also switched to dunlop .60mm pics

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='21836' date='Jun 22 2007, 12:30 PM']did anybody have any success with different types of pick?

playing was murder last night for the first time in ages
it was hot under the lights and i'd had a couple of cups of coffee so i put it down to dehydration again[/quote]

Well, the doctor basically just said what I expected...to rest, which is pretty much impossible for me at the moment so Im just making sure I'm warmed up before playing. I have been rubbing ibuleve on my hand before gigs and practices which has helped with the pain although I know that's not the perfect solution.

Ive got a bass 'powerpick' on order from hotrox.

I decided against the wegen picks because I find it difficult to be as accurate when hitting the strings with a thicker pick.

Edited by Hello_Dave