Why become a member? ×

Clip light of Peavey head

BassBen

Hi Guys n Girls,

For some reason my clip light keeps coming when playing gigs or rehearses.

The amp is a Peavey Firebass 700 (the Red n Black one) and the cabs I have owned was a swr 6x10 rated a 1000watts at 4 ohms and now I have a Trace Elliot 4x10 300 at 8ohms and a Ibanez SR500 active. The light used to come on on both cabs.

The volume is only ever at 11 o clock and the input is at 12.

Bass is at 10
Mid at 11
Mid shift 2
Treble at 2

Any idea to where I am going wrong?

Cheers,

The clip light on my Peavey TNT seems to come on quite early, but IIRC, it says in the manual that it's only a problem when it's constantly on, rather than just coming on for peaks in your playing. It also seems to come on less when the speaker protection is switched off, but I always keep this on anyway as I've never noticed it affecting the tone or volume.

Either way, it's never been a problem for me.

Some (older?) Peavey amps were prone to the clip light activating a lot. The built in compressor (DDT?) would then
'squash' the sound a bit too. Mate of mine had this facility removed by an amp tech,and his sound improved immediately.

On some of the Peavey stuff (Mk111 heads etc) there was a push button to defeat this-useful.

Thank you for all the response guys.

I don’t think I will worry about it. The cabs is in great condition never sounds distorted or anything.

I will be putting this rig up for sale soon. Just got to take a few pics of them.

I need to make way for the Hartke LH500 and a Barefaced compact that is on the shopping list. :)