Why become a member? ×

STRINGS TOO BRIGHT

mpjsols

Ive put some Adagio pros onto my 5 string dearmond bass (Active) and it just sounds too bright.I dont have manual for bass but have tried all settings I can deduce on the knobs but still bright! Played for a couple of weeks a bit better but not good for me. The de armond is longer scale, 2 pickups, active with 5 control knobs. Anyone else find these strings particularly bright or is it tone settings somewhere - baffles me if it is! I'm new on hear and would appreciate any help.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='649174' date='Nov 8 2009, 09:43 PM']I personally like a bright, zingy sound, but if it's a dull dub sound you're after, try some flatwounds. :)[/quote]

I am normally ok with rounds, but these are almost tinny sounding. Ive got a fender aerodyne with fender strings(round) and that's about right for me. I am going to keep fiddling with the controls I think!

Thanks for the comment tho, I've got flats on a fretless and they are Smoooth!

Heh! Nice one. Yes, I find some sets too bright as well. The DR Sunbeams for me are all brightness and nothing else. On my "wooden" basses (as opposed to graphite!) I tend to find I prefer the mix of extra bottom end tone & brightness I get from DR MM FatBeams or Rotosound Swingbass.

I put a set of Elixirs on my 75 RI Jazz last weekend and didn't like them at first. Same complaint. All top end and loss of bottom end, but now I've been playing them for a week they seem to sound a lot better.

I'd go for some FatBeams. Best strings I've used in a long time.

I've found the higher the tension (no matter what brand of strings) then the more Zinnngg! there is. You say it is a 'longer scale bass' - longer than what? Maybe you need lighter gauge strings to compensate for the increased scale length and reduce the tension a bit. Maybe keep a tight B, but lighten up the other four.

What gauge of strings are you using and what is the scale length of the bass?

[quote name='Starless' post='649208' date='Nov 8 2009, 10:09 PM']I've found the higher the tension (no matter what brand of strings) then the more Zinnngg! there is. You say it is a 'longer scale bass' - longer than what? Maybe you need lighter gauge strings to compensate for the increased scale length and reduce the tension a bit. Maybe keep a tight B, but lighten up the other four.

What gauge of strings are you using and what is the scale length of the bass?[/quote]
I think 35 and I am using ADAGIO PRO - 5 String Set 45-125.

[quote name='funkypenguin' post='649267' date='Nov 8 2009, 11:15 PM']i would recommend you try warwick black label strings. they're steel roundwound but sound much fuller when new than most of the other strings ive tried. when i swapped from using D'Addarios, the difference to the sound was incredible[/quote]
I'lll take a look at those.

Black Labels are great strings, I just find them very abrassive on my girlie soft digits. Have you tried wrapping a woollen hair scrunchie over the strings just above the nut? or a piece of sponge under the strings at the bridge? That'll dampen the tone, but will also take the sustain away too, it depends what you're after.

[quote name='mpjsols' post='649273' date='Nov 8 2009, 11:27 PM']I think 35 and I am using ADAGIO PRO - 5 String Set 45-125.[/quote]

Have you tried tuning the bass down one or two steps, just to relieve the tension? If you try that and find that you are eliminating some of the zinngg, then would be worth looking at trying lighter guage strings (40-100 maybe, and keep the 125 B string).

[quote name='mpjsols' post='649163' date='Nov 8 2009, 09:33 PM']Ive put some Adagio pros onto my 5 string dearmond bass (Active) and it just sounds too bright.I dont have manual for bass but have tried all settings I can deduce on the knobs but still bright! Played for a couple of weeks a bit better but not good for me. The de armond is longer scale, 2 pickups, active with 5 control knobs. Anyone else find these strings particularly bright or is it tone settings somewhere - baffles me if it is! I'm new on hear and would appreciate any help.[/quote]

i hate stainless..they are merciless on the fingers and wont die fast enough
so i buy nickel and wait till they die down
one really doesnt want to kill good tone to get rid of the zing
i have found my bddi tends to warm up the tone and i can vary prescence to take off the top zing without losing valuable
BASS tone!
that is what i think a bass is...bass