Why become a member? ×

Question about pole piece height.

dave_bass5

I was just looking at my Nordy P5 and noticed the two pole pieces for the D string are slightly sunk in to the cover. ll the others are slightly proud of the covers.
I was wondering if this makes much difference and if its possible to push them back up.
Ive not taken the pup out yet so not tried to push them up and i cant really hear anything wrong with the pup as it is(at least, i dont think i can, string volume seems even) but i thought i would ask as its stating to nag me now.

Cheers.

[quote name='obbm' post='649054' date='Nov 8 2009, 07:54 PM']They should be following the curvature of the fretboard so the distance from the string to the polepiece is the same for all.[/quote]

Yeah, thats how ive got the pups but there is about 1mm difference between the D and the others.
Not a big difference and one im happy to live with but i would like to be getting the best out of the pup.

Excuse the poor quality pic but hopefully this will show if im being silly or not.

[attachment=35990:Fri_06_N...009_0413.JPG]

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='649067' date='Nov 8 2009, 08:06 PM']Yeah, thats how ive got the pups but there is about 1mm difference between the D and the others.
Not a big difference and one im happy to live with but i would like to be getting the best out of the pup.

Excuse the poor quality pic but hopefully this will show if im being silly or not.

[attachment=35990:Fri_06_N...009_0413.JPG][/quote]

I would drop Carey Nordstrand an email and ask his opinion. Apparently he's quite approachable.

[quote name='obbm' post='649092' date='Nov 8 2009, 08:24 PM']I would drop Carey Nordstrand an email and ask his opinion. Apparently he's quite approachable.[/quote]

Cheers Dave.
I have done that but i keep getting emails back from someone else, even though im addressing it to Carey.
Ill give t another go. t
I got the pup from Best Bass gear so sending i back isn't really an option but like i said, i can live with it if i cant do anything about it.

Edited by dave_bass5

It's best not to mess with the polepieces.

It can sometimes be possible to "drift" then into a new position using a suitabe diameter dowel and a hammer BUT.... if the pickup is wax potted then the pickup wire may be stuck to the polepiece by the wax and there is a chance of breaking the wire = dead pickup. Not worth the risk.

If the volume from each string is balanced (i.e. the D-string is not quieter than the others) then I'd be inclined to leave it.

Are the pickup bobins actually glued in to the cases? If they're not then maybe the whole bobin has slipped down on one side and just needs to be pushed back in to the case.

Ive been meaning to get some foam pads to put under my pickup to avoid that happening.

Edited by Mikey R

Cheers Guys.
Mikey, you hit the nail on the head. I decided to change strings tonight so took the pup out while i was at it and yes, a good firm push on the bottom of the pup and it snapped in to place. Just before i took it out i noticed the G pieces were also a bit low so yes, it was a simple fix.
As i put it back in it sort of dropped slightly again but its more even than before and all pole pieces are now flush.
I think i need a bit of harder foam behind the pup but for now it at least looks better.

I suppose i should have taken it out to look at BEFORE posting but i wasn't planing on changing strings just yet.