Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Coil splitting humbuckers...

Kiwi

Is there any way to wire a pair of ON/ON/ON 3TDP switches and humbuckers so I can select inside coils, outside coils and have both coils in each pickup running in parallel? If it uses a DPDT switch instead of one 3TDP then so much the better.

I've spend most of today trying to get my head around it and failed. Mainly because I can't work out how the 3TDP switch makes its connections. Basically I'm hoping its possible to take this option:

and change the humbucker wiring shown to parallel instead somehow. There has to be more than one way to do it though, I have potentially two switches to play with. Not that fussed about series mode to be honest. Doesn't do a lot compared to parallel and the voltage difference is irritating.

A 3PDT switch is exactly the same as a DPDT, just with an extra switch in it. With a DPDT you have 2 switches and 2 things to switch between (ie on/off). A 3PDT has 3 poles, but 2 things to switch between. That's why they are used for true bypass in pedals, as it allows you to connect the input to either the output (true bypass) or the effect and the extra switch in it can turn an LED on and off. True Bypass can be achieved without a 3PDT, you just wouldn't be able to use an LED without some clever jiggery-pokery.

Not very specific to your question, but I hope that helps you understand the workings of a 3PDT.

Edit: Just read a little closer and saw you said 3TDP. Whoops! I guess this post could be helpful to some though so I'll leave it here...

Edited by Higgie

OK CK.

I've worked out how to do it with a pair of on/on/on toggles (one per humbucker) - I'm just transferring it to paper/pdf. Watch this space!

HTH.
Ian

EDIT: Here you go!! Try this - watch out for the phase on each coil.
[attachment=36035:CK_Humbuckers.pdf]
PM or post if you need a diagram for series/single/parallel wiring per humbucker (again using on/on/on toggles)

Edited by Bottle

Thanks for that Ian! Which of those connections are north-start, north-finish, south-start, south-finish?

[i]Bridge HB toggle[/i]
5 = south-finish
2 = north-start
earthed = south start and north finish?

[i]Neck HB toggle[/i]
5 = south-start
2 = north-finish
earthed = south finish and north start?

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='649915' date='Nov 9 2009, 06:18 PM']Thanks for that Ian! Which of those connections are north-start, north-finish, south-start, south-finish?

[i]Bridge HB toggle[/i]
5 = south-finish
2 = north-start
earthed = south start and north finish?

[i]Neck HB toggle[/i]
5 = south-start
2 = north-finish
earthed = south finish and north start?[/quote]
Hey Kiwi

I'd use the Bridge HB wiring for both pickups TBH - the diagram you've posted at the top seems to be the easiest wiring to follow:

[i]Bridge HB toggle[/i]
[b]2[/b] = south-finish
[b]5[/b] = north-start
earthed = south start and north finish

That should work and avoid any messed up wiring / phase issues when running both the Bridge and Neck p'ups through a VVT or VBT stack.

Let us know how that works out

Cheers,
Ian

Edited by Bottle

[quote name='Bottle' post='650413' date='Nov 10 2009, 09:58 AM']I'd use the Bridge HB wiring for both pickups TBH - the diagram you've posted at the top seems to be the easiest wiring to follow:[/quote]
I was trying to use the diagram at the top but because I didn't understand how the switch made its connections it was impossible to figure out how to rewire the connections for parallel instead of series in one position. Thanks again!