Why become a member? ×

60's burns sonic bridge saddle

bill1988

I've got the chance to possibly pick up a 60's Burns Sonic, my only issue at the moment is that one of the saddles is missing. Looking at pictures it seems like quite an unusual bridge (then again, to date I've only ever played P-Basses). Just wondering if anybody had any idea how easy it would be to find either a replacement saddle, or a completely new bridge, and the best place to find one. I've never done any major work to any of my instruments yet, so I'm a bit uncertain at the moment.

Have attached a photo;

[attachment=35740:_1257375718760.jpeg]

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Weird. That bridge looks nothing like the one that was originally fitted to mine. I was going to say it could be a replacement, but I can't see the plastic mount that the version I had sits on either so it could be an earlier version. When I bought my Sonic Bass back in 1981 the threads on the bridge had already worn out and the whole thing was hold together by being trussed up in wire!

Price for one in good condition these days seems to be around the £400 mark, but IMO that's a collector's price not a players. Although they sound great if you rewire the pickups in series, be aware that the neck is extremely chunky there is no adjustable truss rod and the scale length is only 29.5". As a musical instrument a playable one is worth about £150 max.

Edited by BigRedX