Why become a member? ×

Markbass: modding the FX loop point

gillento

a bit of background info:
I really like the way my SA450 sounds. But it can't handle the 2.67 ohms of my three Aggie GS112's load

After looking for a 2ohms capable head (and not yet having found something I dig), a friend suggested that I should buy a second MB head.

Now the "problem" is the following: I would like to use the second MB head as a slave unit (power amp style). Namely using a post-eq line out/fx send of the first head to a post eq line in/fx return
But the MB's fx loops is pre-eq. So there is no input that bypasses the whole preamp/eq.

Does anyone know if the Markbass can be modded that way?

I already contacted Markbass via their website, but got no reply.

[quote name='51m0n' post='645436' date='Nov 4 2009, 05:40 PM']I wouldnt think it would be easy to.

But why not get a MOMark with no eq, just an input and an output volume.....

Or as close as you can - ie speak to knowledgable dealer type.[/quote]

That would be an option. I'd still need a post eq output feed from the first head.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='645450' date='Nov 4 2009, 04:52 PM']Aren't the Markbass FX loops internally switchable, or was that the previous generation?

Alex[/quote]

The DI is switchable Pre/Post eq with an internal jumper. Not sure that the FX loop comes post eq though. I would think it might well be.

Anyone one got the sa450 schematic handy??

[quote name='51m0n' post='645501' date='Nov 4 2009, 06:33 PM']Just checked my manual.

Definitely EQ post FX.

You're only chance then is to use the DI on the first amp to drive the return on the second amp and DI from the second amp if you need to.

That would work, but would add noise (and eq) to your final DI[/quote]

I have thought about that, too.
But the signal would pass the eq stage on the second amp as well. One more thing to worry about.

Edited by gillento

I wouldnt worry about that at all, leave it flat and you're good....

Seriously you wont notice any issue from running through an eq set as flat as it can go.

Nothiong else will do what you need other than a virtually empty MoMark

Or a good standalone PA amp....