Why become a member? ×

Chris Squire 4001

NancyJohnson

[quote name='lineboss58' post='260211' date='Aug 11 2008, 06:32 PM']I loved that bass but you could only do yes stuff with it and the band i was in hated it, they liked my thunderbird or precision better.[/quote]

I always consider this when admiring someone's tone. For example, people like Chris Squire and Bruce Foxton get some really great sounds from their 4001s, but in a Blues Rock band or orchestra pit, could you get away with it? I love hearing them, and I'd love to be able to make my setup sound like that, but I'm not sure other musicians would appreciate the cut-throatedness as much as I would!

Probably end up having to start a Yes/Jam tribute band called The Brixton Roundabout or something along those lines

Some of my fave `Squire' moments can be seen/heard on the `9012Live' DVD - the tune `Hold On' being a great one in terms of his `clanky' yet pure Rick sound; not much midrange but his bass sits perfectly on Alan White's bass drum - the very last main section (just before the end riff) where he hits the low C on his bass pedals and the fuzz on his bass - awesome! Starship Trooper is another good one!

Nick

[quote name='acidbass' post='260524' date='Aug 12 2008, 01:00 AM']I always consider this when admiring someone's tone. For example, people like Chris Squire and Bruce Foxton get some really great sounds from their 4001s, but in a Blues Rock band or orchestra pit, could you get away with it? I love hearing them, and I'd love to be able to make my setup sound like that, but I'm not sure other musicians would appreciate the cut-throatedness as much as I would!

Probably end up having to start a Yes/Jam tribute band called The Brixton Roundabout or something along those lines[/quote]

Nice band name! :)

I tried to sell my 4000 a while back (my clankiest, nastiest sounding Ric - like a cross between Lemmy and JJ Burnel) and our singer went mad. He loves that bass! Still, as we're playing original stuff (that I write :huh: ) it's not so much an issue. Luckily fate intervened; I've still got it and it's not going anywhere now.

Completely true though. Many of my favourite bassists could feasibly sound terrible in another band. Although as I once pointed out, Jaco would sound just as bad in Motorhead as Lemmy would in Weather Report...