Why become a member? ×

Bridging channels on a Fender Bassman

umcoo

Hi folks, I recently picked up a Fender Bassman 135, but am waiting on funds for a cab (but that's another story).

I've heard about patching a cable between the bass and normal channels, but want to know what happens and how it affects the sound and tonez. Any users out there?

[quote name='umcoo' post='643748' date='Nov 2 2009, 02:24 PM']Hi folks, I recently picked up a Fender Bassman 135, but am waiting on funds for a cab (but that's another story).

I've heard about patching a cable between the bass and normal channels, but want to know what happens and how it affects the sound and tonez. Any users out there?[/quote]
We used to do that with Fenders in the 60's, it allowed you to use the deep switch on the bass channel and the bright switch on the instrument channel, but it wasn't particularly worthwhile. The EQs on the two channels were identical, so no benefits there. One possible use that would be worthwhile is to run one channel straight and effects through the second, giving the ability to vary the tone and volume mix of straight and effect.

[quote name='umcoo' post='645784' date='Nov 4 2009, 05:19 PM']Hey Basszilla, does it make it more grindy and gainy, or just a clean boost?[/quote]It's not going to do a lot, since the two channels are paralleled into a common power amp. You can get a lot more utility if the two channels are cascaded in series, but that takes rewiring by a good techie.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='646620' date='Nov 5 2009, 07:46 PM']It's not going to do a lot, since the two channels are paralleled into a common power amp. You can get a lot more utility if the two channels are cascaded in series, but that takes rewiring by a good techie.[/quote]
paralleling channels reduces noise and increases gain slightly.