Why become a member? ×

Adding an Audere 3ZB and need help!

Kongo

Hey all long time not speak! been busy with my band which is good...but as anyone will remember I change basses like underwear!
So to cut a long story short I've decided to use my 6-string BTB again...only to remember why I put it down.
it plays fine, I'm used to the neck and slap techniques are no problem...ITS THE SOUND!
My GOD why is it so flat? I've been using an Ibanez RD 605 i bought from Geoff Burne here and thats what got me to believing in preamps.
When flat the RD sounded...well...heavily passive...but flicking the switch on...OMG! it comes alive and until having a switch I thought preamps did nothing flat (although modern I've lived in a passive world for so long)...this leads me to believe that what ppl said about the BTB series is true...the preamp is rubbish and always sounds flat...no tweaks deal much to me. not even the vari-mid...

So, I took on some advice and looked into Audere preamps, i've gone for the component version for obvious reasons and found myself...intrigued!
The options are HUGE! I get paid this week which means \i must have one and see (or rather hear) for myself but I'm asking for help deciding.
On my BTB i have 5 pots, one of which is stacked. I have volume, balance, treble, bass and mid with a vari-mid sweeper.
The options available are too big to list so here's a link so u can see:

[url="http://www.audereaudio.com/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=8"]http://www.audereaudio.com/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=8[/url]

I've been thinking, because so it reads it comes with a Z-switch? So I need room for this? I have no problem in drilling new ones if needed, i've had the bass 2 years now almost.
So I was gonna go for Volume, balance, treble/bass (stacked), Mid and a Mid switch. I dont want the 4 band because then I have low and high mid...I'd rather have a switch, which is similar to the prestige BTB model.
Also going 12-volt, same as it is now...

That takes up 5 pots...thats the lot...so with the LED and Z-switch this means I need to make 2 more holes somewhere?
I could have volume/balance (stacked) but I'm not too keen on the idea.

Also, does anyone have any dealings with them here in the UK? they do ship and I've had great dealings with Conklin in the past, with VERY fast delivery.
Also, as these are pre-wired is it as the Jazz bass version is, where no soldering is required? U just put the wires in like Hi-Fi speakers and clamp them in...and being pre-wired the battery box wont go into the slot mine has as the wire wont be able to pass through...unless I unsolder it and do so that way, would be cleaner than taping it down.

Thanks all, I hope this isnt a daunting read...my posts when asking for help are always...detailed LOL!
But seriously, I heard many a bassist say the BTB is better when the stock preamp is changed...I could change the pups later but really, I HATE how flat the preamp is....might as well be passive!

Any info will be appreciated. I would really like to get one of these and do a preamp install.
Love my BTB...Jus dont like the flat tone!

:-)

I recently fitted an Audere to a Fodera look-alike ordered by a mate of mine and he was disappointed to note that the output is a lot weaker than his passive bass. Turns out that Audere do state their circuits do not add any boost as such and his choice of Delano pickups was unfortunate as they are wound relatively low level and better suited to a circuit that provides a 'kick' in the output stage. This is my only experience of this particular set-up and, based on his comments, I could not recommend either one without trying alternative pairings.

This may or may not help your deliberations.

[quote name='Kongo' post='644589' date='Nov 3 2009, 07:00 PM']So not even one person has used an Audere preamp or even changed one?
Gotta be someone. :)[/quote]

I think most people were too exhausted from reading the thread (and perhaps not quite clear on what exactly you were asking?)!

OK, firstly, they are very easy to install, no soldering required, certainly on the Jazz version. Secondly, the Z switch is, to my mind the best feature so definitely install it, thirdly everyone I know who has one has had to order from the US.

Good luck

Chris

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='644609' date='Nov 3 2009, 07:25 PM']I recently fitted an Audere to a Fodera look-alike ordered by a mate of mine and he was disappointed to note that the output is a lot weaker than his passive bass. Turns out that Audere do state their circuits do not add any boost as such and his choice of Delano pickups was unfortunate as they are wound relatively low level and better suited to a circuit that provides a 'kick' in the output stage. This is my only experience of this particular set-up and, based on his comments, I could not recommend either one without trying alternative pairings.

This may or may not help your deliberations.[/quote]

To add to this, I've A-B'd East, Audere and Sadowsky and the Audere is by far the tamest of the three (the East being to my mind the most balanced and the Sadowsky being a monster barely usable past a few degrees dialled in). I still rate the Audere, especially the Z-switch. On the downside the soldering on the Audere is not to the standard of the other two and mine had developed a fault as a result (OK, it was quickly rectified by a tech but his view was that it was the result of poor QC at the manufacturing stage)

Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='644617' date='Nov 3 2009, 07:27 PM']I think most people were too exhausted from reading the thread (and perhaps not quite clear on what exactly you were asking?)!

OK, firstly, they are very easy to install, no soldering required, certainly on the Jazz version. Secondly, the Z switch is, to my mind the best feature so definitely install it, thirdly everyone I know who has one has had to order from the US.

Good luck

Chris[/quote]

yeah probs lol...Didn't have much time so I sorta brain stormed.
Basically all I'm trying to do at the moment is make the tone workable as the stock one sounds flat, and tweaks on the EQ dont do much...either add nasal or sub sounds...no actual mixing of the EQ's seem to work, just increases output (obviously).

What other kinds, if need be, could I look into?
As for pickups I'm gonna give Nordstrand a call. :-)
And shipping from the US is no problem. I used to have a custom string set by Conklin and they always arrived in good time.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...