Why become a member? ×

Which Hercules Wall Hanger?

molan

As I currently have builders in almost complete control of my house I'm thinking of getting someone who actually knows what they are doing to fit a couple of wall hangers up for me :)

I like the Hercules design and wondered if there's any real difference between the wooden mounted ones with 2 screws

and the metal mounts with 3 screws:

I was vaguely heading for the metal one because of the extra screw but maybe the wooden base gives a more solid contact with the wall?

Basically I've never used these before so totally paranoid about putting a £2K bass on one & it falling off the wall, lol.

Without a doubt, get the wooden 2 vertical screw one. I have 3 of them along the wall screwed through the plaster and into the wooden uprights behind the wall (no need for any plugs or plaster fixings). The screws supplied are long enough to get right through.

The triangular metal things will probably not guarantee all the screws are in wood and I wouldn't trust my Fenders with any kind of plasterboard or fancy fixing plugs.

As an aside, I use another 4 of the wooden vertical ones above and inbetween the lower 3 for acoustic (lighter) instruments. These ones are in plasterboard and utilise the supplied (very long) rawl plugs.

You don't need a builder to find the solid wood behind the plasterboard. Just tap your knuckle along the wall and listen. Hollow sounding means no wood, solid sounding means screw it in there. Depending on the age of the house or wall they should be about a couple of feet apart (mine are about 22 inches). Perfect for basses below, acoustics above.

Rock solid (pardon the pun) and the wooden bits match the guitars (and the dining table).

Edited by Starless