Why become a member? ×

Quick basic question

KASH

If I change strings one by one will the neck keep the tension? Is there a better way to do it? E.g. start with the G or with the E string?

Last time I changed strings, i took them all off as I wanted to clean the fretboard and replace the bridge, but it took me ages to adjust the neck as I wanted it to be so i was wondering if I do it this way the neck stays in place?

[quote name='OldGit' post='641131' date='Oct 30 2009, 02:40 PM']A normal bass neck will stay as it was unless you are changing to a different make or guage of strings, or different tunings.[/quote]

It's the case, going with a heavier gauge

[quote name='KASH' post='641135' date='Oct 30 2009, 02:43 PM']It's the case, going with a heavier gauge[/quote]
Well, in that case, you'll have to re-adjust everything anyway :)

I always take them all off to clean the finger board, and have never had a problem with the neck shifting. I always check/reset the intonation after changing strings though.

Edited by ~tl

Heavier gauges will exert a higher tension so you'll have to tweak your truss rod to keep the neck profile the same. Don't do this against string tension - slacken them off first.

Different gauges & tensions, plus adjusting the truss, will inevitably mean some action/intonation tweaks will be needed. It's a quick job if you have the right tools, and a good idea to get into the habit of doing it anyway.

Jon.

[quote name='farmer61' post='641160' date='Oct 30 2009, 02:55 PM']But why would you get Fretbuzz after changing over strings of the same gauge??[/quote]

:)

fretbuzz? same gauge?

im putting heavier gauge strings and fretbuzz is never a problem really as my action is high as f**k, but that's the way i like it :rolleyes: