Why become a member? ×

Layla - Derek and the Dominoes

The_D

We decided to learn Layla and I have been learning the Clapton Version. Is the Derek and the Dominoes version in D or D#? I cant seem to get a copy of it but one tab I found is in D and I know how half the time, if not more, tabs are wrong.

The Unplugged version is in D and the original Clapton one I have (with the big instrumental at the end) is in D#.

It wont be hard to transpose it down a single fret but I always like to just turn up and knock it out first time

hah... this'll confuse you... the sheet music I've got is notated in F

There's a five bar guitar cue and then the first bar of Bass has Dm and Bb for the two chords

The actual verse has the following chords:

| C#m | G#m | C#m, C, D | E | F#m, B | E, A | F#m, B | E, A |

the transcription has been done from the "Layla and other assorted love songs" version.

The book it's in is "Great Rock For Bass Guitar" by Wise Publications

[quote name='Paul Cooke' post='69173' date='Oct 3 2007, 05:43 PM']hah... this'll confuse you... the sheet music I've got is notated in F

There's a five bar guitar cue and then the first bar of Bass has Dm and Bb for the two chords

The actual verse has the following chords:

| C#m | G#m | C#m, C, D | E | F#m, B | E, A | F#m, B | E, A |

the transcription has been done from the "Layla and other assorted love songs" version.

The book it's in is "Great Rock For Bass Guitar" by Wise Publications[/quote]

Well heres me showing my lack of theory! It sounds closer playing along in D instead of D#m. But that was the chord I was looking for. Dm to a Bb or D to an F. Both sounded fine from one recording to the other. We are going with D as thats what the Guitard learned too :)

To echo Bassferret, could just be that the record was varispeeded to make the vocals in tune or suchlike. As a result of which its not exactly in D or D#.
Some Beatles tracks, bits on After the Goldrush and more recently, some tracks on Radioheads The Bends ("Just" for instance) aren't exactly in A = 440Hz tune. Get the playing right and don't beat yourself up too much?

Intro and Chorus are definitely in D (F Major, actually :) ).

When working out song keys, I find it helpful to consider what other instruments are playing and this can often provide clues as to the original key. Case in point, the main Layla guitar riff in the intro and chorus; it's played off the open A and D strings - Open A hammering onto C at the 3rd fret, then open D hammering onto F at the 3rd fret, then open D again but hammering onto C at the 3rd fret on the A string, then play the D powerchord.

It would be rather awkward playing this in any other position unless using a capo, though I've never seen Eric use one.

Toodle-pip

Matt