Why become a member? ×

I'm soon to be auditioning for music college, any advice?

JamieBenzies

Hello everyone,
I have an audition for Trinity College of music in a months time and I thought I would appeal for some advice from the lovely basschat community.

Basically, I am having a hard time picking two jazz standards that would be suitable for the audition. So far I have only really chosen one; that one being Spain (Light As A Feather version).

The main reason I haven't chosen the other is because I keep on changing my mind, so any suggestions would be fantastic. In fact any advice on the audition at all would be fantastic as I am scared shitless at current.

I play bass guitar (as opposed to upright) by the way, just in case anyone didn't assume that from my choice of Spain...

Thanks

Jamie

Edited by benzies123

Hi Jamie,
Spain is not really a standard mate...
Check what they mean by 'standard'. To my mind a standard is a tune from the American songbook, ie written by one of the great show writers from the first half of the last century. So Gershwin, Porter, Kern, Rogers and Hammerstein etc.
Spain (as good as it is) is a modern jazz classic so slightly different in definition. I'm not splitting hairs for the sake of it, if they want to hear you playing real standards it will be to assess your fundamental knowledge of, and ability with the core material of the genre (jazz), so it's important to be sure that thats what you give them. They will prob want to hear your walking abilities and how you cope with the bass role in Jazz. So good examples would be All the things you are, Days of wine and roses, Bewitched, When I fall in love, etc etc
If the remit is wider and extends to modern jazz classics then Spain would be fine. Just be sure of what they want before you invest a load of time learning something a little bit outside what is expected.
My advice would be to get a real book and play through a load of melodies and listen to the ones that capture your ear then work out a little showpiece. Best of luck.
Jake

[quote name='jakesbass' post='637491' date='Oct 26 2009, 11:24 PM']Hi Jamie,
Spain is not really a standard mate... play through a load of melodies and listen to the ones that capture your ear then work out a little showpiece. Best of luck.
Jake[/quote]

Thanks very much, this is exactly the kind of response I hoped for (That wasn't meant to sound sarcastic!). But yeah I have some real books, and you are right about going through it, I will set upon that now I think.

Cheers

Hey. When i was at Leeds College of Music I used to play on peoples auditions. I think they will be looking for something not too complicated but played well. Don't try and blow them away with technical ability because I doubt they will be looking for that. Popular standard choices were Blue Bossa, Autumn Leaves, All the Things You Are and Take the A Train. They will almost definately want to hear good time keeping and solid comping. Nothing too flash. I wouldn't be too worried. I have a couple of mates at Trinity and they said everyone was really nice to them at the auditions. If you're doing Spain then I'd make the other piece a swing tune as that's what you'll spend a lot of time doing. Good luck dude.

[quote name='johnmarley' post='637549' date='Oct 27 2009, 01:43 AM']Hey. When i was at Leeds College of Music I used to play on peoples auditions. I think they will be looking for something not too complicated but played well. Don't try and blow them away with technical ability because I doubt they will be looking for that. Popular standard choices were Blue Bossa, Autumn Leaves, All the Things You Are and Take the A Train. They will almost definately want to hear good time keeping and solid comping. Nothing too flash. I wouldn't be too worried. I have a couple of mates at Trinity and they said everyone was really nice to them at the auditions. If you're doing Spain then I'd make the other piece a swing tune as that's what you'll spend a lot of time doing. Good luck dude.[/quote]

Yeah I did initially want to do Spain and then something more trad as you were saying. I've emailed the guys at Trinity to ask what they think of performing a piece like Spain at the audition, I'm sure they will say the same as you have. For my other choice I was considering pieces like Stolen Moments, A Night In Tunisia etc. and those are pieces I love so I'm not missing out if I don't play Spain.

I didn't actually mention it in my first post but I have actually applied to Leeds College Of Music as well; I'm just treating it as a second choice. So what's your experience been like of it so far?

Thanks

Im applying to trinity and leeds too (as well as royal welsh college, and Birmingham) and i wasn't sure about what sort of thing they wanted either. I planned on playing 'Blue monk' and 'the chicken' (Pee Wee Ellis) but i have also emailed them asking if this is too modern, and I expect them to say that they want more traditional stuff!

Btw, if you don't mind me asking, whats your name, I may well see you at some of the auditions!

[quote name='Pkomor' post='637740' date='Oct 27 2009, 11:25 AM']Im applying to trinity and leeds too (as well as royal welsh college, and Birmingham) and i wasn't sure about what sort of thing they wanted either. I planned on playing 'Blue monk' and 'the chicken' (Pee Wee Ellis) but i have also emailed them asking if this is too modern, and I expect them to say that they want more traditional stuff!

Btw, if you don't mind me asking, whats your name, I may well see you at some of the auditions![/quote]

I actually talked to my bass teacher today who started a jazz course at Leeds College of Music a few years ago before dropping out, he reckons that if you show a good understanding of traditional walking bass in one piece, the other can be more contemporary. It makes a lot of sense really as showing a good understanding of core principles like the chap above said is a necessity, but at the same time they should want to hear what else you enjoy and also see some proof that you listen to and play a broader spectrum of music then just the typical standards.

It's only my advice so do as you please but from what I have heard do at least one piece with a good walking section, it doesn't even have to be difficult; you just need to show a solid performance.

I have been playing the chicken a hell of a lot recently, it seems to be following me around (this is actually highly beneficial now I have a nice fretless!). But yeah awesome tune!

Just in case you were wondering my pieces at current are A Night In Tunisia and Spain* - that is unless they specify I should do otherwise. If not Spain I'll do a track like Stolen Moments or Caravan.

My name's Jamie by the way, what's yours?

[quote name='benzies123' post='637494' date='Oct 26 2009, 11:32 PM']Thanks very much, this is exactly the kind of response I hoped for (That wasn't meant to sound sarcastic!). But yeah I have some real books, and you are right about going through it, I will set upon that now I think.

Cheers[/quote]
Hi Jamie, didn't sound sarcastic to me at all :) .
I was bass tutor at Salford university for 8 years (and a couple of smaller colleges) so I know what is expected. I hear some good things about Trinity, I know a few people attending (and past tense) and bizarrely I was in a band with Nic Murcott (their head of music technology) when I was about 13-14 yrs old. Haven't seen him since but we have both gone on to make a living from music.
All the best
Jake

When I auditioned to study music I had no previous music educational experience, so went in to the audition completely in the dark. I had arranged a piece for bass guitar and drums that involved playing the head from "Big Noise From Winnetka", followed by solos, quotes & sections from various tunes from different kinds of music, most at different speeds - inspired by the version Vic Pitt performs, but with a different feel and tunes. Things like "Live and Let Die", "A-Team Theme", "Blue Monday", and "Peaches" were included, and many others. It was a bit of an epic, and really good fun! They seemed impressed with it at the audition, but stopped me 3/4 of the way through and said "erm, that's great, but can you play a blues?" :-)

So the above advice is definitely good, although my unorthodox approach was also successful!

Good luck with the auditions.

Jennifer

Leeds College was ok dude. Had its ups and downs like every where else. Leeds is a great city and the teachers there are amazing. It's being taken over by Bradford Uni though so it's all change. I think you'll be fine with Spain and Tunisia. They'll also put a chord chart in front of you at Leeds and ask you to walk through it so they'll here your swing anyway. Good luck man.

[quote name='benzies123' post='638313' date='Oct 27 2009, 06:47 PM']I actually talked to my bass teacher today who started a jazz course at Leeds College of Music a few years ago before dropping out, he reckons that if you show a good understanding of traditional walking bass in one piece, the other can be more contemporary. It makes a lot of sense really as showing a good understanding of core principles like the chap above said is a necessity, but at the same time they should want to hear what else you enjoy and also see some proof that you listen to and play a broader spectrum of music then just the typical standards.

It's only my advice so do as you please but from what I have heard do at least one piece with a good walking section, it doesn't even have to be difficult; you just need to show a solid performance.

I have been playing the chicken a hell of a lot recently, it seems to be following me around (this is actually highly beneficial now I have a nice fretless!). But yeah awesome tune!

Just in case you were wondering my pieces at current are A Night In Tunisia and Spain* - that is unless they specify I should do otherwise. If not Spain I'll do a track like Stolen Moments or Caravan.

My name's Jamie by the way, what's yours?[/quote]

hehe cool!

Im pete, I hope to see you there!

but stopped me 3/4 of the way through and said "erm, that's great, but can you play a blues?" :-)

can blue men waltz the whites?

play summat good!
a Jacco cover (From an electric bass player of your standard) will suffice! "Come on, come over" for instance, will suffice. I've heard you play,why are you worried?
you're damn good!!

Thanks again for all of the posts! They are all very helpful. Also incase any one else was wondering in terms of auditioning for Trinity jazz 'standards' is an error according to the head of jazz. You can play any jazz, as long as you do it well! (I knew there would be a catch!).

[quote name='witterth' post='643612' date='Nov 2 2009, 05:16 PM']but stopped me 3/4 of the way through and said "erm, that's great, but can you play a blues?" :-)

can blue men waltz the whites?

play summat good!
a Jacco cover (From an electric bass player of your standard) will suffice! "Come on, come over" for instance, will suffice. I've heard you play,why are you worried?
you're damn good!![/quote]

How do you know me? I know your username but I cannay recall exactly where from?! Where have you heard me play!? I'm pretty scared!

A Jaco cover would be nice but I think I would look like too much of a Jaco fan if I wipped out some Palladium on them.

Thanks for the complement! The only complements I normally get are 'My, you're playing quieter then usual...it's good' (Mum and Dad).

Edited by benzies123

Nothing I can add to except I've heard from a few tutors etc that Spain is apparently a rather common choice for musicians and they hear it more than you might possibly expect.

I also heard that Blue Bossa and Autumn Leaves are also favourites and I can believe it so I can imagine that chosing something that you perform, play and articulate well but that isn't as common as muck like the above two standards clearly are would be a good idea.

Your credentials that you used during your application forms where to get you the interview, the interview's where you need to stand out and show promise and ability.
If you're one of 50 people who played Autumn Leaves you can imagine how much more of an uphill battle you have to get a place.

Tunisia looks like a good choice due to it being a tune with swung and straight rhythms, a cycle of fourths in the B section, un-diatonic chords and various "world" music influences.

Good luck with the audition, I'm sure if you prepare as much as most people who are serious about college do then you'll find the audition fine once the nerves (if any) are out the way.

Ben.

There seems to be a general consensus that Spain isn't a good idea. I have been told that re-harmonising a pop song would be a very good thing to do, but I can't come up with any that I can imagine being any good. I've tried the Beatles, Pink Floyd, Michael Jackon etc but no satisfaction yet.

Any one got any ideas?

(A Night In Tunisia is a definite)

Thanks

hey guys

im auditioning for jazz at trinity also, plus the royal academy of music (on electric)
for the academy audition we have to play the heads... just wondering if anyone knows whether this is expected at the trinity audition too?? or whether we're just walking and they supply a horn? im guessing we solo though

good luck all
Rich
x

[quote name='richardcoughlan' post='652182' date='Nov 12 2009, 01:00 AM']hey guys

im auditioning for jazz at trinity also, plus the royal academy of music (on electric)
for the academy audition we have to play the heads... just wondering if anyone knows whether this is expected at the trinity audition too?? or whether we're just walking and they supply a horn? im guessing we solo though

good luck all
Rich
x[/quote]

Mr head of jazz said that soloing was the most important thing in the audition. I think it's probably a good idea to join in on the head just once to show that you have really explored the tune, but by no means is that a requirement. They do supply a band to play with with one horn.

Good luck!

[quote name='benzies123' post='653251' date='Nov 13 2009, 12:21 AM']That video is awesome and I would love to do it but I can't find a free or affordable score of this arrangement anywhere. I could arrange it myself but I don't have much time left.

Thanks for the link though, I am a huge fan of Patitucci he is awesome![/quote]

thats a pity mate. im sure its out there in lead sheet format?

Patitucci is one of my biggest influences as a bass player :) his sense of phrasing is incredible

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='richardcoughlan' post='665579' date='Nov 25 2009, 08:44 PM']how did you guys get on?
had mine at 10AM Monday morning.......not the hour for jazz![/quote]

I had mine due for 5:30 but ended up having it an hour early. I was pretty nervous and ended up playing way too busily, and I'm pretty sure I wont have got in. But this happens just as lots of other things happen which make me reconsider the idea of ditching a gap year, so if I don't get in it wont be a big loss.

10am is quite unfortunate! I was glad to to have mine so late, I hung around all day to try and observe/obsorb the atmosphere a bit. Seems like a good ol' place.