Why become a member? ×

Selling CDs of covers ?

darwin

We've got some good live recordings from my shiny new hard disk recorder recently and according to everyone we've played them to they are good enough to sell...

I've done this in the past with other bands but this band includes a police officer and two civvies employed by the police and they are a bit more concerned about the legal aspects of selling CDs with covers of others material.

We'll use the CD for demo purposes but are there any others out there flogging CDs to the drunkards left at the end of a gig ?

Cheers
Darren

If you want to do it completely legit, then you'd need to get the permission of the copyright holders for each song. Send an email off to the MCPS to see what they say. It might prove more hassle than it's worth doing it the legit way.

You shouldn't have any problems selling the odd CD here and there but your police officer bandmember might get into a little trouble at work if they take a strict view of this.

The MCPS route is not expensive and it is fair. I believe you can do it all online now.
Short run demo's may be allowed (friends band wasn't charged for 30 for demo purposes) but if selling, do it properly - the right people will get paid for writing the material you're selling.
You will also have trouble getting a duplication plant to copy them if you don't have the relevant paperwork.

max

[quote name='redroque' post='68700' date='Oct 2 2007, 03:54 PM']The MCPS route is not expensive and it is fair. I believe you can do it all online now.
Short run demo's may be allowed (friends band wasn't charged for 30 for demo purposes) but if selling, do it properly - the right people will get paid for writing the material you're selling.
You will also have trouble getting a duplication plant to copy them if you don't have the relevant paperwork.

max[/quote]
+1

Royalties are one of the main ways for musicians to make money, we should respect our fellow musicians and pay them their due.

If you are having them professionally duplicated rather than running off a dozen yourself then the duplicator should be applying for the licence anyway and the cost should be in your total bill. I worked for a tape duplication company for 7 years and this was part of my job, it cost the band peanuts per 100 and ensured that the song writer got their just rewards... you know it makes sense!