Why become a member? ×

Evening all.....

FoxtonFanClub

Hi everyone!

This is my first time on here.

I only picked up a bass for the first time a couple of years ago - a Fender Squier - and I've been doing a few gigs with a covers band (Kings of Leon, Oasis, Arctic Monkeys, Kaiser Chiefs stuff etc).

I'm sure you've all heard this question a zillion times but where do I go from a Squier?

Anyone got some advice as to the next step up as I think I've outgrown it now.....

Would be grateful for a steer

Cheers

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='636393' date='Oct 25 2009, 07:13 PM']Depends on what you like & dislike about your current bass, your budget and any number of factors. If your current bass is the basic affinity and you want something similar but better, you might benefit from having a look at the Vintage modified or Classic Vibe Squiers.[/quote]

+1

with the covers you named, you can't go wrong with a jazz bass tbh. so i'd give one of those play, the squier classic vibes are excellent basses. there really is no NEED to go anywhere from a squier, they're quality these days. you could go for a mexican fender, but they're not consistantly good quality and they cost a lot for a little difference between them and the squier CVs.

obviously the other option is a nicer amp.

[quote name='arsenic' post='636423' date='Oct 25 2009, 07:57 PM']+1 again....

Though if you are OK with going second hand, there is some nice stuff in the Bass' for sale section - especially if your budget can stretch to some of the MIJ/CIJ Fenders in there....

Or the rather tasty (well to me anyway) G&L L2000 Tribute

T.[/quote]

+1 on the G&L. If you fancy a change from the Jazz sound then the G&L gives you loads of options and great value for money. I will prob never regret buying mine.

If you like the jazz though I'll echo what everyone else says about the VMJ. I even fancy one myself once the Credit card has calmed down a bit.

A small point (to the OP), but you might get more insights if you'd titled the thread 'what's the next step up from a squier' or somesuch rather than "Evening all....., ....a bit of advice needed" which gives no clues about the question you're asking. Someone who has just upgraded from their starter bass, so has recently researched the intermediate market may have skipped over the thread title without opening it as there would not have realised it was relevant to their experience.

Also a bit of info on your budget, which squier you have currently, what you like/dislike about it would help.

just sayin'... :)

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard

[quote]I only picked up a bass for the first time a couple of years ago - a Fender Squier - and I've been doing a few gigs with a covers band (Kings of Leon, Oasis, Arctic Monkeys, Kaiser Chiefs stuff etc).[/quote]

That could be me. Do covers of all of those bands. Started on a Squier Affinity P, moved onto a MIJ Fender P. Very happy with my choice, although the incremental difference in sound and feel is quite small. Change of amp from little Fender Rumble to Ashdown EB180 made much more difference, sound-wise.

Sometimes you don't have to move on from a Squire, my Squire Vintage Modified jazz is a fantastically playable and amazing sounding bass, i like it as much as my two Warwicks, if a bass works for you stick with it! I thoroughly recommend that particular model though!! Check them out!