Why become a member? ×

OLP and new Artec SE2-A (fixed)

V4lve

[quote name='V4lve' post='632303' date='Oct 21 2009, 12:43 PM']Hi.

Just fitted an Artec SE2-A to my OLP MM3 and it works but I am getting this huge buzz. Gets worse when I pan to either pickup. Have checked the wiring and nothing obvious wrong.

Any suggestions?[/quote]

Seemed to have fixed it now. Resoldered an earth and now it's fine (may have also been to do with me testing it while it was lying on top of my amp?)

[quote name='V4lve' post='632333' date='Oct 21 2009, 01:12 PM']..... (may have also been to do with me testing it while it was lying on top of my amp?)[/quote]

That's quite possible. The transformers in the amp generate large electromagnetic fields that could have been swamping the pickups at such close proximity.

[quote name='BassBunny' post='632993' date='Oct 21 2009, 11:10 PM']How is the pre-amp? I have got one to go in my G&L L2500 with some fancy pick-up switching.[/quote]

It's loverly. Havnt cranked it yet but at so far it seems to done my B string quite a bit of good and overall the tone is clearer and has a bit more bark. And that's running it flat. Quite a bit of boost which I havn't really tried yet. Not used an active bass before so hard to compare but so far it was well worth the upgrade and cheap too (fifteen quid plus shipping on ebay). The old electronics were little more than switches really. Now wondering what to do with the battery, currently its sitting under the pick-guard.

G&L L2500 eh! That's a nice looking bass.. What you planning to do?

Edited by V4lve

[quote name='BOD2' post='632839' date='Oct 21 2009, 09:10 PM']That's quite possible. The transformers in the amp generate large electromagnetic fields that could have been swamping the pickups at such close proximity.[/quote]

Very likely that then. It hums quite a bit when I get close to the head. Particularly when only one coil is being used.

[quote name='V4lve' post='633189' date='Oct 22 2009, 09:26 AM']Now wondering what to do with the battery, currently its sitting under the pick-guard.[/quote]

The best thing to do is rout out a hole and fit a battery box. I did to my MM3 -

Those Gotoh ones are probably the nicest ones.

[quote name='neepheid' post='633209' date='Oct 22 2009, 09:45 AM']The best thing to do is rout out a hole and fit a battery box. I did to my MM3 -

Those Gotoh ones are probably the nicest ones.[/quote]

Yeah. I saw that. Did you do it yourself? I'm afraid I will bodge it.

[quote name='V4lve' post='633222' date='Oct 22 2009, 10:17 AM']Yeah. I saw that. Did you do it yourself? I'm afraid I will bodge it.[/quote]

Yup. Did it with a template. Get the template right - bodging it means you only bodge up a scrap of MDF or something. Once you have the template, and have it clamped nice and secure you drastically limit the opportunity for bodging the actual piece.