Why become a member? ×

You are Number Six!

Deep Thought

Well, here's a thing I never expected to say-my Shuker JJ Burnel just arrived! Bass number 006. Through a chance conversation on another, non-bass related forum a few weeks ago, I happened upon this, and circumstances conspired very favourably to allow me to nab it! I've been itching to say something for days, but held back until I actually had it in my hands! The process of getting it has actually been quite agonising, at one point I thought I'd missed out, but it was meant to be!
Never gigged, virtually pristine. Note headstock decal which says J.J. Burnel in normal script (like JJ 's) as opposed to the signature decal they have nowadays. Sadly pre Shuker cases, although came in a prefectly serviceable Gator case. Also pre signed certificate-I might try and wangle one out of Jon!
Was expecting, from what I'd heard, for the neck to be like the deck of an aircraft carrier, but in fact it's no wider IMHO than my Precision-just a bit fatter and rounder in profile. Plays beautifully, although it's got lighter gauge strings on at the moment which will be coming off pronto. Sounds incredible through the Shuttle! Intrigued by the phenolic scratchplate, not so shiny, and I would imagine less easy to mark than the Fender plastic ones. One of the first things I noticed was the light weight as well. Tone control is a totally different animal to the Precision's-actually makes a considerable difference. Generally the bass reeks of handbuilt quality, and I'm delighted with it.
I also never expected to be saying that I packed my beloved US Precision off in the post on Friday (to Bassatnight-hope it gets there soon!) to recoup some of the price of the Shuker-I'm sure it's gone to a good home! Can't wait to get the Shuker to a full-blast rehearsal-first gig will be on the 30th! Anyway here are few hastily-grabbed pics.

Edited by Deep Thought