Why become a member? ×

Sell your rig and get in ears?

mcgraham

Awesome! Glad to hear of other success stories!

My foray into in-ear monitoring has been fraught with difficulty, mostly due to the PA equipment I'm plugging in to having occasional issues (just bad timing/coincidence!). But when the whole setup works, it's absolutely amazing. I love being able to hear everyone so clearly as if they are right beside me. I've also been using IEMs for acoustic guitar and electric guitar as well as bass, and it makes a world of difference. The sound isolation you get it is also brilliant. Not that our onstage sound is deafening, but I love the completely controlled version of onstage monitor mixes I get with IEMs.

This means I am still contemplating selling my rig! Or at least downsizing it... I haven't used it in about 2 months!

Mark

Vocalist, #2 guitarist & I use IEM's. Drummer & #1 won't.

Our sound guy has bought loads of Aviom kit which means we each have our own sub mixer from the stage box and set our own mixes - #1 guitarist has a sub mixer and sets levels to his monitor.

I tend to have one plug in and one out to get a bit of ambience. #2 guitarist uses both plugs but there are often mutterings from others that his stage level from the Boogie is high.

When I first started with IEM's I was just using the Bass POD xT straight to the PA with the others getting bass from their monitors, but again there were mutterings, this time that the bass was getting lost and couldn't be felt on stage so I ended up getting the MB combo to cover off that.

PA was a mess yesterday at church (we rent a room, and is therefore not a static setup). The PA team did their best but a slow start and lots of 'gremlins' in the equipment meant sorting some half decent monitoring for myself was a no-go.

Something to work on anyway!

Mark

Edited by mcgraham

[quote name='mcgraham' post='662418' date='Nov 23 2009, 09:54 AM']PA was a mess yesterday at church (we rent a room, and is therefore not a static setup). The PA team did their best but a slow start and lots of 'gremlins' in the equipment meant sorting some half decent monitoring for myself was a no-go.

Something to work on anyway!

Mark[/quote]
Know the feeling!

Our biggest 'gremlin' at the moment is the multi-core (24 sends, 4 returns) - out of 28 cores, we've gradually lost the use of six, including two desk returns for the main amp rack feed. I've got it with me today so I can take a look on my workbench at lunchtime - cue much soldering and stripping methinks.

We also have no static set-up, which has taken it's toll on the multi - we're always having to unroll it at the beginning, and roll it back up at the end.

Anyway, had a good morning (only on set-up, so had a breather this week!)

Hope it goes OK for you.

All the best,
Ian

Ugh, bloomin' snakes!

Usually, the sound team's problems come down to collective inexperience and lack of practical know-how. I was about to post a short rant, but decided against it :) Lets keep it positive eh? We're all on the same side here, even if we can't always see things that way.

Mark

• 1 month later...

Update:

My q-Jays started behaving oddly this morning. Used them fine last night on the way home from the gym. Got up this morning, plugged them in and everything's gone weird! The overall volume has decreased, left earphone sounds like it's underwater compared to the right and distorting weirdly, and the top end is muted overall making the bass seem overwhelming.

The Jays website indicate that volume imbalances and distortions will most likely be due to the filters getting clogged - I will change them when I get home. My only concern is that this seemed like a sudden overnight change, which leaves me unconvinced that they could've just [i]suddenly [/i]become clogged overnight. Hmmm... won't be impressed if it's something more serious than this.