Why become a member? ×

Phil Jones Bass Suitcase - just taken delivery

Kubickiboy

Just a quick note to give a massive thumbs up to this little amp.

Chipped in all my backline (GK 700rb, GK RBX 410, Ashdown Superfly, Hartke 115) and picked this up. Gotta say it's the tightest and clearest bottom end I've ever heard. I play both Status 5 and Kubicki 4 basses which have very distinct sounds so the two channels are a joy, and with only a little tweak of the 5 band eqs and limiter can replicate their tones precisely with no discolouration or distortion whatsoever. The bumf tells you to experiment with it's position dependant on the room/venue you play in and it works a treat. Way loud enough to play with a loud(ish) drummer if you just mess around with where to put it.

And it fits in my car boot easily!

I heard bad things about PJB gear but now I'm totally sold. After trying this out, and now buying one, there's no going back.... :)

Anymore converts out there?

Had a PJB Suitcase for last last two years and have been using it for occasional jazz and big band gigs with my double bass. Sound is fantastic and more than enough power for a big band. The only problem I've had with position was on a raised carpeted floor, otherwise it seems to work anywhere. Also worked well outside in band-stands with the big band. I've been through a few amps, and it is by far the cleanest and nicest sounding. Quality is also fantastic - still looks like new.

I'm playing mostly orchestral now and need the cash, so my Suitcase is up for sale. It will go on the classified lists when I get round to taking a few pictures.

[quote name='Minstrel' post='623185' date='Oct 11 2009, 03:44 PM']Had a PJB Suitcase for last last two years and have been using it for occasional jazz and big band gigs with my double bass. Sound is fantastic and more than enough power for a big band. The only problem I've had with position was on a raised carpeted floor, otherwise it seems to work anywhere. Also worked well outside in band-stands with the big band. I've been through a few amps, and it is by far the cleanest and nicest sounding. Quality is also fantastic - still looks like new.

I'm playing mostly orchestral now and need the cash, so my Suitcase is up for sale. It will go on the classified lists when I get round to taking a few pictures.[/quote]
That's interesting about the raised carpeted floor. I've only rehearsed with it a few times on a (non-raised!) carpeted floor and still kicks out loads of power and is clean as a whistle. Wonder what's knocking around that could be used to stand it on if that's a problem?.

What difficulties were you having btw?

[quote name='Kubickiboy' post='626065' date='Oct 14 2009, 03:00 PM']That's interesting about the raised carpeted floor. I've only rehearsed with it a few times on a (non-raised!) carpeted floor and still kicks out loads of power and is clean as a whistle.[/quote]

I'm guessing that the clean deep but not terribly big or fat lows are getting eaten up by the hollow floor. This problem would happen with any cab but it's more obvious with the PJB because it's quite clean and transparent sounding yet can't go massively loud to compensate for the bass suck-out. As ever, two matched cabs will be radically louder than one and would probably solve this problem. A cheaper solution is to try to put the cab somewhere else or isolate it from the hollow stage.

Alex

• 1 month later...

I have an PJB M300 head that I use with a 6B neo power cab.

The sound of my Stingray 5 through it is extremely good - definitely the best I've heard amplified but then I am keen on a clean DI'd tone.

Volume wise, it gets turned up to halfway for small gigs, threequarters for medium gigs. Suppose I could get an additional cab if I ever had a volume issue - but certainly not needed yet!

Best of all it feels nothing like lugging around my old Trace AH250 and 2 4x10 cabs! (which was superb sounding but....well it was heavy on your own!) which I sold to finance most of the cost of the PJB rig.

Even fits into the tiny boot on my car - all in all a very happy customer.

- Richard