Why become a member? ×

Hello

filosofem

Hi, been 'practicing' for 15 years but made little progress due to my laziness. But no more! I am now putting minimum an hour a day (have been for the last 5 months) so hopefully should be reaping some reward soon. I still have my old Tanglewood I bought new then, this model doesn't seem to exist anymore (the whole thing is painted gloss apart from the fret board). I am looking to get another bass as I want different tuning (currently drop D) but want Drop C or B tuning on a 4 string still. I have no idea what to get so I thought I would check what the experts amongst you have to say. Off to read the stuff already posted, see you around the forum :)

Welcome to the forum :)

I'm a little drunk, and I don't know you, so I'll tell you to not dick about and get involved in a band - there's no better shot in the arm for your playing than playing with others. Please take my utterings in the spirit they are intended - to help you improve. I wish you all the best.

[quote name='neepheid' post='622197' date='Oct 10 2009, 01:24 AM']Welcome to the forum :)

I'm a little drunk, and I don't know you, so I'll tell you to not dick about and get involved in a band - there's no better shot in the arm for your playing than playing with others. Please take my utterings in the spirit they are intended - to help you improve. I wish you all the best.[/quote]

Imortant words from my coastal brother there.

I had been messing with bass for years and always thought of myself as a bass player, even though I had never played in a band and could only play tunes that I had tab for and even at that i was limited to very easy tunes.

1hour a day is nothing dude, try all day and night as I couldnt put my bass down when i finally got into it, 18months ago.

Im now in an amazing band and giging at least once a month.

once you get a few scales down and get comfortable playing over some keys, then get yourself down to a local jam session to get some confidence playing in front of people.

Get a band together asap and get rocking brother

Edited by munkonthehill

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='622240' date='Oct 10 2009, 08:27 AM']Imortant words from my coastal brother there.

I had been messing with bass for years and always thought of myself as a bass player, even though I had never played in a band and could only play tunes that I had tab for and even at that i was limited to very easy tunes.

1hour a day is nothing dude, try all day and night as I couldnt put my bass down when i finally got into it, 18months ago.

Im now in an amazing band and giging at least once a month.

once you get a few scales down and get comfortable playing over some keys, then get yourself down to a local jam session to get some confidence playing in front of people.

Get a band together asap and get rocking brother[/quote]

Thanks for the advice, as it happens I have been offered to play with 2 others, the thought of playing live is not one I relish however as I do not like being on stage from previous experience (non musical performance). I accepted to join the band as I know this is the only way to progress. One hour a day isn't much for you out there but it is a huge improvement on my previous routine, must try to increase this. I really appreciate your advice even if it is given drunk :)