Why become a member? ×

Trade Feeler: Music Man Bongo 5HH

NancyJohnson

Looking to see whether there are any interesting trades against this bass.

I really had the hots for a Bongo and landed this 5HH a couple of months back, but it's not for me. It's difficult to quantify exactly why this bass doesn't work for me; being 100% honest here, it's quite beautiful to look at (it's a great piece of art), monster tone, but this is the only active bass is my collection and I just find it difficult to use as a back-up bass as it's so mental compared with my DJ5. Aside from the prerequisite little-ding-at-the-end-of-the-headstock the bass is mint. Desert Gold finish, Music Man hardshell case, Dunlop Strap-loks, custom pickguard.

At present I'm struggling to think what I could trade this against, I've been racking my brain most of the afternoon...Gibson Thunderbird (has to be white), a Spector 5-string NS, maybe even a Rickenbacker 4001/3 so long as it was black. Don't know. If you have anything [i]interesting[/i], let me know.

Anyhow, here's some pics:

P

Edit: If I can make a little edit here; obviously I'm reasonably aware of what the bass is worth from a monetary perspective, so it's market value is more than a Thunderbird, and maybe on par with a Spector or Rickenbacker. I'm not going to trade this away and make a loss; I'd sooner hang onto it and punt it again in a few months if this was the case. I'd just like to thank my wife for pointing that out to me. Sorry to be blunt. :)

Edited by NancyJohnson

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='621927' date='Oct 9 2009, 07:08 PM']Looking to see whether there are any interesting trades against this bass.

I really had the hots for a Bongo and landed this 5HH a couple of months back, but it's not for me. It's difficult to quantify exactly why this bass doesn't work for me; being 100% honest here, it's quite beautiful to look at (it's a great piece of art), monster tone, but this is the only active bass is my collection and I just find it difficult to use as a back-up bass as it's so mental compared with my DJ5. Aside from the prerequisite little-ding-at-the-end-of-the-headstock the bass is mint. Desert Gold finish, Music Man hardshell case, Dunlop Strap-loks, custom pickguard.

At present I'm struggling to think what I could trade this against, I've been racking my brain most of the afternoon...Gibson Thunderbird (has to be white), a Spector 5-string NS, maybe even a Rickenbacker 4001/3 so long as it was black. Don't know. If you have anything [i]interesting[/i], let me know.

Anyhow, here's some pics:

P

Edit: If I can make a little edit here; obviously I'm reasonably aware of what the bass is worth from a monetary perspective, so it's market value is more than a Thunderbird, and maybe on par with a Spector or Rickenbacker. I'm not going to trade this away and make a loss; I'd sooner hang onto it and punt it again in a few months if this was the case. I'd just like to thank my wife for pointing that out to me. Sorry to be blunt. :)[/quote]

MB1. :rolleyes:
Might be an idea to add an acceptable Cash Price! :lol:

[quote name='MB1' post='622655' date='Oct 10 2009, 08:28 PM']MB1. :)
Might be an idea to add an acceptable Cash Price! :rolleyes:[/quote]

I honestly have no idea.

I don't want to come over as smug or anything here, but they rarely come up in the UK; US eBay prices for the two that have gone recently are $1,250 and $1,350 (and I'm [i]not [/i]letting it go for £900)...plus, you'd need to factor in shipping and duties on top of that. Th*m*nn are selling new for a shade under £2,000. There's also supposed to be an eighteen month waiting list as well (although black ones don't seem to be an issue as Thomann have the Stealth model in stock).

At this stage [for instance] a straight trade against a European Spector LX 5 would be a better deal all round rather than me selling for £1,400 and then putting another £250-300 to Thomann to purchase a new one.

P

• 6 months later...