Why become a member? ×

Hi There

arsenic

Hi there.

I have been watching this forum for some time, and now that I have finally got around to registering, I thought that I should introduce myself:

I'm 46, live in Wolverhampton, picked up my first bass at the age of 11. This old Angelica Deluxe telebass /51 pbass style copy is still with me, (actually this bass got my son into playing bass - so it's really been a two for one). I don't have much info on this bass, but bought new in 1972 - maybe one of the Boosey and Hawkes imports. I played for many years, constantly in and out of bands. - aquired a 1973 (I think) precision in 1980, sadly, now, long gone.

For the last 11 years I have not played due to health problems, and for the last nearly 2 years I have been virtually housebound, have spent most of this time in agony awaiting neck surgary to cure the loss of use of my left hand/arm, and battling depression.

During this time my better half bought me a Fender aerodyne P-bass in the hope that when I recovered from the operation, the Jazz style neck would help to exercise my fingers.

Now a few weeks post op, and learning to play again,(after a fashion - Doc has said that I may never recover much of the dexterity, feeling and movement in my left hand and the arm may be permanently weakened, so I may be looking at a move to a shorter scale), and I am starting to rediscover the joys of my first real love - the downside is that I now have chronic GAS, and no money.

I don't think I will ever be able to play in a band again, but home noodling is fun - right??? - and maybe some home recording???

Anyway....Sorry for the long Introduction, but I wanted you all to understand why I want to say:

"Thank you to all members for keeping me entertained during a really rough period of my life, I owe you a lot".

Regards

T

Edited by arsenic

Thank you for the welcome.

Here are some pictures of the angelica (as mentioned by Musky), and th Aerodyne

The Agelica is made in Japan,(stamped into the six screw neck plate), and is solid wood, not ply-wood with quite a thick finish....although the neck is starting to resembla a banana, and truss rod adjustment does nothing. I'm not sure waht to do with it - pimp it, leave it or restore it......pimp and restore would cost money - but what price sentimental value??? - electrics would be cheap and easy, but the neck would bump the price up....but that is a topic for another time and place.

Apologies for the poor quality but the house is quite small, its raining outside, and got bored waiting for the batteries to recharge for the decent camera,

[attachment=34120:Angie_2.jpg]

[attachment=34121:Angie_3.jpg]

[attachment=34122:Angie_4.jpg]

[attachment=34123:Angie_and_AP_1.jpg]

[attachment=34124:Angie_and_AP_2.jpg]

T.

Edited by arsenic

The 6 bolt neck on that might suggest it was made by Moridaira - but maybe not!

Bassassin is the resident JapCrap (a term of affection, not an assessment of quality!) expert here, so maybe stick up something in the JapCrap spotting thread in the ebay forum.

Thank you for that Musky....I have had it for the last 36 or 37 years, but as a kid, as long as it played OK, that was all I was concerned about, but over the years I have become more interested in getting to know about bass' and the companies etc...and taking care of them....as I said, it has suffured the ravages of time and me as an ignorant kid, but I love it to bits...would love to get it playable again, because my son has requested it when I shuffle of this mortal coil.

If I remember correctly, it cost somewhere in the region of £30.00....which was quite a lot back then.

I will drop something into the JapCrap spotting thread and see what turns up

T