Why become a member? ×

For those who have expensive basses...

erisu

Got some updates guys!

I received another 44-02 today! :rolleyes: Nick is such a great guy! He told me yesterday that they can send a new 44-02 out, I would get it today and in return the delivery guy will collect the other 44-02 and take it back to Headline. Came home from work today and immediately saw the new bass :lol: I opened it and to my surprise..... I received one that's made in Korea instead of Indonesia which was where the 1st one was made from. So I took it out and it's absolutely perfect! No more dings and the neck screw is screw angle is straight ^_^ I'm a chuffed owner I say! Although I must say... the maple fretboard on the 1st 44-02 was nicer than this one because the grain was so nice it nearly looked like birdseye maple as opposed to the current one I have looking abit more plainer.

For those who care... Upon having the chance to play both Indonesian and Korean 44-02's... there really isn't much difference apart from the cosmetic minor flaws that came with the 1st bass. If I played both basses without looking at the country of origin, I wouldn't be able to tell from the sound, feel and playability which one is which :)

[quote name='chris_b' post='613419' date='Sep 30 2009, 11:08 PM']Get a good luthier to replace the screw and wait until the guitarist turns around on a small stage and clatters the bass!![/quote]

If a guitarist did that to one of my instruments, he'd be pulling shards of his own teeth out of his arse for a month! :)

Across a few years, I owned 4 Rickenbackers - 2 4003's and 4004's.

I always thought, high-end, should be flawless.

All 4 had issues - from the classic Ric problems, through to other more annoying issues. In the end I kind of gave up, and resigned myself to the fact that it was part of ownership! I used to read all the forums, and found I was far from alone.

I now play a Geddy Jazz, and as of this week, a MIM P. Both came flawless - and the combined cost of less than 1 Ric. Use, abuse, whatever....and if one goes, get another identical one off the peg!

In essence, I was just surprised that the QC on mass-production basses was so good....or maybe I've just been lucky!

I too am having major issues over a bass I paid four figures for......................

The action was that high I didn't know whether to play it, or fire arrows with it! :)
Paint finish on the front of the body is very ripply
Heavy orange peel on the side of the neck
Small chip of wood missing out the fret board
Finish was still soft (first time I attempted to play it, it left an imprint of my jeans in the finish)! :rolleyes:

I have just sent a fairly lengthy e-mail to the manufacturer of this bass, outlining the above issues, and that I find it totally unacceptable. I will decline to name and shame at the moment, until I get some resolution on the above. I have recieved a prompt reply.

Bitterly dissappointed considering I have 2 basses that I paid around £200 for that are better finished :lol: :lol:

In today's age, I expect perfection when I hand over a huge wad of cash for something, especially when the manufacturers website makes a huge deal about how carefully they select their woods, and the stringent quality control processes that each guitar goes through, at each stage of the build. :lol: I see no evidence of this in my bass..............

[quote name='retroman' post='615656' date='Oct 3 2009, 12:46 PM']I too am having major issues over a bass I paid four figures for......................[/quote]
I'm really sorry to hear this and hope you receive the resolution that you deserve. I'm also very intrigued - I know that there are some 'mass manufacturers' and boutique builders charging four figure sums and would be interested to hear who is the cause of your dismay and irritation. Good luck with the bass and the outcome - do tell if and when you feel you can (i.e., if this will not compromise your position) - it's good to see the names if somebody is letting the bass community down

[quote name='retroman' post='615656' date='Oct 3 2009, 12:46 PM']I too am having major issues over a bass I paid four figures for......................

The action was that high I didn't know whether to play it, or fire arrows with it! :)
Paint finish on the front of the body is very ripply
Heavy orange peel on the side of the neck
Small chip of wood missing out the fret board
Finish was still soft (first time I attempted to play it, it left an imprint of my jeans in the finish)! :rolleyes:

I have just sent a fairly lengthy e-mail to the manufacturer of this bass, outlining the above issues, and that I find it totally unacceptable. I will decline to name and shame at the moment, until I get some resolution on the above. I have recieved a prompt reply.

Bitterly dissappointed considering I have 2 basses that I paid around £200 for that are better finished :lol: :lol:

In today's age, I expect perfection when I hand over a huge wad of cash for something, especially when the manufacturers website makes a huge deal about how carefully they select their woods, and the stringent quality control processes that each guitar goes through, at each stage of the build. :lol: I see no evidence of this in my bass..............[/quote]

Whoa! What's the brand of this bass if you don't mind sharing? I'll make sure that I'll do more research on this brand if they have something interesting in future.

with organic materials like wood you cant expect complete perfection
but with mechanical processes and build i would expect very good detail and finish

sound could however be an overall choice for the big ££ basses

my shuker breathes good workmanship and sounds like it should...no better no worse ..than a 51P..its only got a s-d pup in it and passive...so there is the limitation

the finish and common sense that has gone into the design is creditable...slightly more modern with the tuners and bridge and the flattish radius on the neck

for the money a good and unique instrument...signed and no 1 of a series

[quote name='chris_b' post='613419' date='Sep 30 2009, 11:08 PM']Get a good luthier to replace the screw and wait until the guitarist turns around on a small stage and clatters the bass!![/quote]
ha, yes I played my new toy at a gig the other week and found myself moving the guitarists mic away from mine to avoid sword fighting with my perfect bass