Why become a member? ×

Delay / Echo

WILD FROG SHOT

What do you reckon? I've read through all the previous threads regarding delay/echo and I still can't decide. I want something that I can use with bass/baritone/guitar. It needs to be pretty subtle and warm rather than turning my signal into alien-speak. Looking to spend between £90 - £135.

I'm thinking either: MXR Carbon Copy Analogue Delay, Electro-Harmonix Stereo Memory Man with Hazarai, Boss DD-7, Line 6 Echo Park, or Danelectro Reel Echo. They all look pretty good...HELP!!!

I'm not sure that I need a looper, but then again, I don't really know until I use one. I guess the real answer is to go and try them out :)

Is a DD-20 as hard to use as it looks?

Edited by WILD FROG SHOT

I have a Carbon Copy, which does the subtle/warm thing very well, plus it can do crazy oscillation noises. However, if you're after a simple analogue delay I would go for the new [b]EHX Memory Toy[/b] because it's only £52 new! The Memory Boy has a couple more features and looks cool too.

I used to have the Stereo Memory Man with Hazarai. Great pedal, but I had a bit of a problem with digital clock noise invading my signal, plus the blend pot on it reduces your dry signal as you add more delayed signal, which means you get a volume drop at some settings, especially apparent when setting it up as a basic looper. You should check out the [b]Digitech Hardwire DL-8[/b], looks like the best value digital delay / looper out there at the moment and it's missing from your list! I would choose this over the Boss/Line6 because it's true bypass, plus the Line6 apparently doesn't play well on a daisy chain.

from your list i'd go for the carbon copy or the echo park, carbon copy is defo the warmest but i'm a sucker for tap tempo!!!! i had the ehx smm w/h but i found it to be a bit sterile, tho there are some interesting and tweakable settings to have fun with.

edit: aye, the echo park's just a tad noisy on a daisy chain. ^_^

Edited by ase_one23

[quote name='ase_one23' post='612926' date='Sep 30 2009, 12:56 PM']from your list i'd go for the carbon copy or the echo park, carbon copy is defo the warmest but i'm a sucker for tap tempo!!!! i had the ehx smm w/h but i found it to be a bit sterile, tho there are some interesting and tweakable settings to have fun with.

edit: aye, the echo park's just a tad noisy on a daisy chain. ^_^[/quote]

Yeah, i've heard from quite a few sources that I should step away from the ehx smm w/h. Was worried about the noise on the chain, so also have decided to leave the echo park too.

I've ordered the Digitech Hardwire DL-8 that dannybuoy suggested; the true bypass and warm tone really sold it for me (i'm pretty sure it has tap tempo too!). I think the organ player in my band is going to get a carbon copy for his hammond, so hopefully I'll get to have a little blast on that too at some point! Thanks for your input!

[quote name='WILD FROG SHOT' post='613019' date='Sep 30 2009, 03:08 PM']Yeah, i've heard from quite a few sources that I should step away from the ehx smm w/h. Was worried about the noise on the chain, so also have decided to leave the echo park too.

I've ordered the Digitech Hardwire DL-8 that dannybuoy suggested; the true bypass and warm tone really sold it for me (i'm pretty sure it has tap tempo too!). I think the organ player in my band is going to get a carbon copy for his hammond, so hopefully I'll get to have a little blast on that too at some point! Thanks for your input![/quote]

not a problem, i've heard good things about the hardwire series!!!!