Why become a member? ×

Feedback on the compact

Gunsfreddy2003

Apex kindly dropped off the "southern cab" at our rehearsal rooms last night and I used it for a full rehearsal with the band and my observations and opinions are as follows:

Weight - incredibly light for a 15" cab easy to transport and load in and out of the car. If 15" cabs have always put you off due to dimensions and weight then this cab will definitely change your mind!

Finish - I would say very practical and hardwearing but I, like others, would say that I really prefer a carpet covering - it just seems better quality. I would be interested to know why Alex does not opt for carpet covering?

Sound - Last night's rehearsal was with an instrumental jazz/funk band so I am always looking for quite a punchy sound with plenty of middle and highs. I use a GB Rumour 4 string so normally no problem at all getting that really nice high end sizzle. With my Aguilar AG500 head I normally have the EQ set flat and just dial in the extra EQ that I need from the bass as the pre-amp is so powerful. This was my starting point with the Compact but I realised immediately that some adjustments would need to be made! The bottom end from this cab is nothing short of thunderous - really round and fat! However the overall sound was just a little muddy for my liking so I rolled off the bass on the head and increased the treble and high mids. By itself it sounded fine but in the context of the band anything played on the D and G strings just would not cut through and this was commented on by 2 other band members.

I am not sure why this was happening and no amount of fiddling seemed to fix the problem. To sum up I would say that the Compact would probably suit players who are more into the "rock" sound as it powers out the bass and in that environment would probably sound awesome. Whether it was the 15" speaker or perhaps the lack of the tweeter I don't know but I just felt that the sound was not right for me and what I am looking for.

Price - Spot on. A great value when you compare what I have paid for my Epifani cab.

I am hoping to have another rehearsal on Thursday with another band which are a bit louder and if so I will give it another spin just to sense check the sounds again. If not then I will pass on to the next on the list.

Thanks again for Alex for the opportunity and I admire his absolute faith in his product to allow such harsh testing to proceed!

Mark