Why become a member? ×

low mid eq

dub

I've had a john east MM eq with semi parametric mid in my Musicman for a few months now and up till recently have taken the approach I did with the original eq, which was to turn up the bass control to almost full, boost the top a little and cut the mid a tiny bit.

I've been listening to a lot of recorded bass sounds and trying to get similar tones and this is when I started boosting the low mids (around 150hz) with a bit less low end. What a revelation, it's quite an old school tone but it sits really well in the mix.

I know it's a bit obvious. I think I have just been a bit stuck in my ways. Not any more.

Mids can be very very useful or un-usable depending how you tweak them...

Not sure that I would call 150hz low mid, seeing as my pre's bass starts at 100hz but who cares about that..I would expect this tweak of yours to firm up the bottom end nicely.

FWIW, on my amp which is prone to very low sub bass output.which is pretty well unusable.. ( SM400, IYKWIM ) I get a much better sound running bass and treble pots flat and playing around, tho not too much, with a little boast or cut here and there in the lo and hi mids.

That is all the EQ'ing I have to do and then only when I have an odd room/stage to contend with..

Little increments work best..as you then get a feel for what the controls actually do..rather than drastic twiddling which just confuses the hell out of me and makes a good sound almost a lottery