Why become a member? ×

Opinions please!

Netballman

Hi all,

looking for some advice (though I suspect I may be opening a can of worms!)

I have an old Peavey TNT100 combo which I acquired in the 70s and love the sound of - but it weighs a ton and my increasingly decrepit frame can't cope with heaving it about!

I am hoping to have a little bit of cash coming my way soon and have been seriously considering buying something more manageable to replace it - but what?

Any suggestions as to a not too expensive, light-as-possible alternative (head + cab probably rather than combo) that would give me the most similar sound? I play a Spector Kramer NS-2 and a GWB35 fretless through it, and don't really need anything louder than the Peavey.

Cheers in anticipation!

[quote name='Netballman' post='610821' date='Sep 28 2009, 01:52 PM']....I have an old Peavey TNT100 combo which I acquired in the 70s and love the sound of - but it weighs a ton and my increasingly decrepit frame can't cope with heaving it about!....[/quote]
In my opinion you'll be pleasantly surprised by the quality, tone and weight of "modern" bass gear. I think you should come to the Bass bash in a few weeks time and hear some great amps, cabs and combos before you buy anything.

Not sure what you consider too expensive, but you could look at the Markbass combos which are light years on from your old PV, IMO.
Personally, I love the 2x10 combo but a VG second hand one will be onwards of £600 here, I would say. It will be everything you want, coming from the PV, I would suggest. They do 15" versions as well, which should be cheaper.

If that is too rich, then TE is always a keen price 2nd hand and even though the sound isn't for me, the 2nd hand price means you can get good bang for buck.
SWR as well, although I would tend to look 1st at the older stuff...and less at the Workingman's range, but that is me, Anyway, 2nd hand prices are very keenm for very good kit, generally.
We are talking about gear that can be around 300watts amp-wise as that seems to be the volume required these days...but I wouldn't worry about the wattage, more that you get a good set-up.

If you stick to 150 watts then that brings lots of combos into the equation...for good or bad, fom your POV

Ashdown has its fans.
You'll probably have to decide whether you want 10" or 15" speakers and whether a high-end horn is important.
I mention this as it seems that you have had the amp for eons and might not have had to look at what is out there lately.

If weight is the real premium then NEO speakers can save lbs.

Best thing is to keep an eye out for things that crop up in the FS section that you like the sound of and then research them here..